Failure of All of my Zooz remote switches

My house is dominated by zoos Zen34 switches. Last night the system stopped responding to them. I rebooted to no avail. I put logging on but saw no entries.

From Hubitat app I can still control lights.

Gurus out there how should I proceed. I do have another Hubitat should I try to switch system to it?

My last backup to computer was Jan 3. I think I am subscribed to backups to the cloud but I don't know how to see if that was done automatically or how to access them.

Have you done a shutdown and pulled the power (from the wall) for a few minutes and seen if that fixed it? Also pull the air gap switch on the switches to reset them as well. I have to do that with my Zen30's on occasion but never all at once.

2 Likes

Done from the settings page. The hub will display a list of all your backups in the cloud from all the hubs on your account and any backups local to the hub. However I'm gonna guess @tivomaniac is spot on. Otherwise you'll probably need to try what @terminal3 suggests.

2 Likes

A soft reset may be in order, read about it here.

As for backups look on the setting backup and restore, your hub should be doing a backup every night around 2:00AM.

5 Likes

Bingo Thanks ever so much. Pulled plug, waited 10 minutes and they started working

5 Likes

Don't panic and rush into taking nuclear actions like restoring backups or resetting stuff. The remotes are end devices, if they stopped working it could be that one or more repeaters are misbehaving, restoring a cloud backup wouldn't help solve the problem with a repeater, on the contrary, it may harm more than help.

5 Likes

THIS sooo much!!! It's easy to go into panic mode and make things worse... I have quite a bit of experience with this sadly. See also "impatience" as another form of self-own tech disasters.

5 Likes

I went down that panic road early on and wound up reinstalling EVERYTHING. That's not what you want to do.

If they're all failing, wouldn't this point to the hub?
Great that it's working, but you still wonder what was the reason they all stopped working?
Maybe a good time to get your backup ducks in a row before the big one hits.

Not that this was the problem, but how are your batteries?

If all Zen34 remotes fail, but "From Hubitat app I can still control lights.", that points to a misbehaving repeater, not the hub/radio.

2 Likes

Make sure they are on the latest firmware. If not, some of them may have started spamming the network with battery reports, which could cause any z-wave devices to respond extremely slow.

3 Likes

My entire system is relatively new so batteries are new too. I have no idea when I will need to replace them.

It would be great if someone with create an automatic system that would record battery level every time the switch is used and would thus forecast battery replacement time.

I have a dozen or so in use for almost a year. I was wondering the same thing, recently :slight_smile:

1 Like

I really don't know how to do this. Since the Zen34 is such a nice unit it would be great if the system would automatically predict battery replacement and do validated firmware updates.

1 Like

Rebooting the hub didn't work. Power cycling did. What does power cycling do that rebooting doesn't? Would it somehow prompt the Zen34 to look for a new route, or something? Weird.

1 Like

Flushes the radio power. A misbehaving device can overwhelm the radio. The fact that power cycle resolved the problem indicates that the solution is likely only temporary without identifying/addressing what device(s) caused the problem to begin with: Dos and Don'ts of Z-Wave Power Reporting (repost)

2 Likes

Bobby,

Welcome back from Vegas! Would this show up in the zwave log as a device constantly sending events?

Thanks. Possibly :slight_smile: I would start with Live Logs with driver debug enabled.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.