Failing iris v2 motion

Have an iris v2 motion sensor. Even after factory reset the motion portion still doesn't work but battery and temp still work. Has anyone found a reason for this? The blue light flashes 3 times every 5 seconds. Very strange...

Out of 30 some I have, maybe 2 were doing that. They ended up in the :wastebasket:...

3 Likes

Few people on here reported the solder joint/pad on the pin of the motion component came off. Happened to me as well. I retouched with a solder iron and keep my finger off the sensor when chaning battery now.

What on earth. No wonder we couldn't find anymore on ebay :rofl:

7 Likes

Believe me, Alex_sari on eBay memorized my address... lol

8 Likes

I had this happen to me. It's possible it's a bad solder joint , however I've been using it for months after. I had given up on it and left the battery out for a few days, when I tried again it came back. Seems like it got stuck in a weird state flashing colors/patterns never seen before. The other sensor that did this to me, and it might be my imagination, but I got it working by starting the sensor by connecting the negative end last, instead of pushing the battery in while the negative is making contact, I installed a piece of plastic between the negative end and the terminal(just like the way the new boxed sensor is shipped) and to start pairing I pulled the plastic strip out.
Maybe all my silly fiddling knocked the solder joint into place and has nothing to do with the battery.
Anyway good luck

This is pure conjecture, zero science backup. But if you're like me, you hate giving up and try everything under the sun

1 Like

Maybe you got it into factory demo mode?

1 Like

This... Very important, but easy to forget and frustrate the bejeebers out of yourself when you're trying to reset one of these.

Ask me how I know., :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, been there, done that ...I think im just gonna relegate it to the freezer

2 Likes

I've had two do this, both units that I dropped from a good height onto a hard floor. I should only be allowed to change batteries when stading on a down comforter. :wink: One of the v2's came back for a while but then ended up losing the ability to do motion sensing again so it's also in one of my freezers for temp monitoring.

3 Likes

I did the same thing! I dropped one while changing batteries, and motion sensing was lost. It does make a a fine temperature sensor. I looked for a trace to resolder to repair it, but I couldn't find anything amiss.

1 Like

last resort, There are anecdotal stories of people baking(yes the oven) motherboards to re-seat bad solder joints. I've never gone that far, but have used a heat gun to refresh circuit boards with a bad joint somewhere. You want high heat and lower air flow, too much airflow + heat can lead to a tiny component heating up and flying off.

I have a flow on my soldering unit, I could give that a try for giggles. Worst that can happen is entire thing goes tatas up...

Okay, so you have the official equipment, even better. And the oven stays available for dinner!

1 Like

Ugg I've dropped more of these than I care to recall. The dam battery is so tight, usually the battery and the device go flying in opposite directions. Not sure why the solder would be so brittle or maybe it just didn't have a tight enough bond to the circuit board. Should we be calling it a "circuit sheet" vs. a board? It's so thin

Dammit - I knocked a v3 off a shelf I had it sitting on this morning!

Luckily it's still working/reporting. Going to secure it w/some velcro now.

Resitance (to velcro) is futile, I cannot be trusted. :wink:

1 Like

:rofl: Guess I am not the only one having grip about this.