Fading Lights to OFF

All of my lighting automations are setup in rule machine. I am looking to setup a rule to fade certain lights to OFF over a period of 15 seconds when no motion has been detected. I can get the lights to fade but the transition is in minutes and when it fades to 0, the light is still technically on.

What's a room are you using? With minutes, it sounds like you might be using "Fade dimmer over time." This does an in-rule calculation and sends multiple "set level" commands over time to eventually get what you specify.

If you just use the "Set dimmer" action instead, you'll be able to specify a transition time, in seconds, handled all by the driver. This should allow you to do what you want.

1 Like

@bertabcd1234 thank you! That def fixes my fading issue.

Although, I would like to use this fade dimmer into my rule for turning off lights when no motion detected for say 5 minutes. I would like the lights to slowly fade to OFF. When I set dimmer over with a fade it will physically turn the light off because it goes to zero level but the light is actually still on.

Essentially instead of the lights turning off on us while we’re in a room and haven’t moved for a while, I want the lights to start to fade then I know to move my arm to trigger the motion sensor again.

First, Room Lighting could sort of do this using the "preset off" feature, though I'm not sure about fading. I also wrote a custom app that, among other things, can dim lights before turning them off if you are interested: [RELEASE] Lights on Motion Plus (dim before off, remember individual bulb states, etc.)

That being said, I'm not sure I understand the problem with the rule. Doing a "Set level" to 0 will normally turn off a light, baaiclly equivalent to "Off" except it will normally respect a specified transition time. The switch (on/off) and level (dim level) attributes are tracked separately, and you will therefore normally not see "level: 0" reported at all, including when the light is off. I'm not sure if any of this describes your problem or if you're using an odds driver that behaves in a different way. Or maybe you just need a way to cancel? In that case, another "Set Level" normally does that (to the previous level, I suppose, which you'd have to have saved? Thisnaeema like it should be the same no matter how you approach this automation).

I just noticed that when I dim Lifx bulbs to zero, the light is still technically on in hubitat even though it’s physically off. I tested dimming to zero on some other lights and it does indeed turn the lights off when dimmer to zero. I guess it’s something with Lifx lights that when dimmed to zero the light is physically off but hubitat still sees it as “on”

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.