Factory Reset

I would like instructions on how to factory restore my Hub... Had defective stick that support sent a replacement and would rather just start from scratch... Appreciate advise on migrating but would rather just know the process of factory restore hub.. ( also know I have to exclude and include zwave)
Support is out for a while so I hope someone here knows how to..

THANKS

This has been mentioned already in another thread. Have you had a search for it?
I believe, don't quote me though, that after you have done it, using a blank memory stick, you have to go to support anyway.
Do you really need to start from scratch or is it just something you wish to do to start with a clean slate.

I did a search and everyone mentions having to ask for support so I though it may just be instructions... That is very unfortunate if you are unable to perform factory reset without tech support as I sometimes like doing it on everything I own yearly and phones every 6 months... support even mentioned I may want to do a factory reset...

Thanks, definitely appreciate it.

Note, at this step you'll need support to reset it at their end. I had to do this once when I first got my hub, I had a corrupt database. Until they reset it at their end, there is nothing else you can do.

2 Likes

@meetmein1984 Contact support first.

As @bptworld said, at step 11 go to portal.hubitat.com and validate that your location shown is called "My New Location". If it is, then PM or send email so we can reset your hub's registration. If, not, then repeat steps 1-10.

1 Like

Whoops... wish I had seen contact support first haha

We are here. You've got good directions to get you started. Let me know when you complete step 11, or if you have any issues.

Change is coming. I don't have a time frame when the ability to reset your own hub will be released, but it is in development.

9 Likes

I dont understand why a product that is marketed as privacy and 'off the cloud' as a major feature requires having to log into the cloud to register it and make it work in the first place? Cant it be designed to just startup and give a web page without having to connect to cloud services to get it working? I was very surprised when I got it finding out I couldnt do anything with it until it connected to the internet and required registration/cloud connection to get working? So if i understand correctly from reading above if I do a factory reset the device will become useless until support unregister it to allow connection again?

1 Like

A lot has changed in 6 months. You're replying to a message from December 2018.

http://(your hub's ip):8081

can choose soft reset:

Soft Reset

You will lose all your settings, however all existing Zigbee and Z-Wave devices will remain connected to your hub.

If you restore from a recent backup after soft reset you will be able to continue to control your existing devices.

or full reset:

Full Reset (Please contact support before using this option)

Zigbee and Z-Wave radios will be reset.

All files on the hub will be deleted and if a restore from backup is attempted, Zigbee and Z-Wave devices will not work anymore without reset and re-pair.

Cloud connection will no longer work without registering again. After the reset, your hub will shutdown.

4 Likes

Not sure if the "factory reset" is complete. I purchased a used hub and the previous owner claimed he did the factory reset before shipping. After a recent update I started getting this error in logs:
sys:12019-10-18 01:08:07.254 pm warnReceived cloud request for App 11 that does not exist, path: /webhook
After working with previous owner it seems that Life360, which he uses, was still trying to update my hub (had to be through hubitat portal otherwise how could it get my address?)
So I did another "Factory Reset" and this resulted in an apparent clean hub. When I went back to portal it still showed me as administrator and I didn't have to go through complete registration as it already showed up as mine.
Still getting webhook errors. At this time previous owner is going to delete his Life360 account and start over with new credentials. May take a few days to see if this works.

@rick thank you for pointing out this post. It is not required to contact support before performing a "Full Reset", as long as users understand that this option should be used as the last resort, primarily when the hub is prepared to be returned or to be given away. As mentioned above, this option not only resets the radios but also removes any personal data (user account, email addresses associated to the hub, etc).

1 Like

My problem is that while connecting a brand new (fresh out of factory box) Hubitat C-7, the following symptoms immediately appeared:

1. LED stayed blue for a couple of minutes
  2. Eventually went solid green
    3a. Device did NOT appear in my Google WiFi dashboard
    3b. Device MAC NEVER seen in arp - a list
  3. Device NOT found using find.hubitat.com
  4. Rebooted several times in succession using power cable
  5. Checked and re-checked wired Ethernet connection (cable, switch port, etc.) all known-good
    7a. Google WiFi briefly(!) saw device and enumerated it, allowed me to assign DHCP reservation (I since released it just to simplify matters)
    7b. I briefly DID see big green "Hubitat" screen in browser, but gone.
  6. Device WAS found by find.hubitat.com but IP shown (169.254.x.x) is radically different from my home network (192.168.x.x) [WHY?]
  7. Cannot connect to that IP address, even with port 8081 added, nor the one tentatively assigned by Google WiFi router.

I will contact support when they are next available, to assess next steps. Changing my (wired) PC's IPv4 settings to match 169.x.x.x domain did not get my anywhere, but I'm open to suggestions in the meantime.

I'm a PC tech with 35+ years' experience, so I know this looks like a case of someone returning a Hubitat with "Static IP" settings intact, which I'd love to undo /if/ I could access the device via HTTP.

It's just sitting there, mocking me. :-/

30 SECOND LATER....

UPDATE: Belay that request, boys. After some deft unplugging and re-plugging of CAT5 cables, the Hubitat must have found a routing it likes and is now acquiescing to the 192.168.x.x IP and DHCP assignment, and I'm off to the races on my initial Setup screen. Wish me luck!

Glad to see you got your hub connected. Don’t forget to set a DHCP reservation for the hub, as that can prevent certain issues from coming up in the future.

@bobbyD please consider closing this thread. It’s quite old and the info in most of the posts is outdated.

5 Likes

This is not recommended. The hub's microUSB connectors has been known to break upon repeated use. If you must remove power from your C-7, do it by unplugging the power adapter from the wall socket.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip, which I actually had already noted earlier in this thread, and acted accordingly. Good advice.

1 Like

that address space is defined as being "I can't find/get an address, so I'll invent one from this space" -- basically if you see it, it means that networking isn't working correctly. No static IP, so the device is trying to use DHCP and getting no response. So it randomly creates an address from the 169.254.x.x space. As you found, it won't help changing your PC to match.

3 Likes

As a follow on, one of the recommended courses of action when you have issues like this:

1 Like