Factory reset z-wave dimmer, re-include afterward?

I've now got some zooz switches and dimmers and plugs going on my c-7, but the first device I added seems to have some poor looking stats on it (Dining Room Dimmer - zen77 2.0). Higher response times, ran through a spate of route changes, etc. I was thinking of doing a factory reset on the dimmer, but am unfamiliar with how Hubitat handles this for z-wave.

I've reset my zigbee devices many times in the past, and the Hubitat just picks them up as the devices they were previously, with no need to update any automations or anything. If I factory reset my z-wave dimmer switch, can I just run the include again, or will this cause issues with ghost devices, or have to do an exclude and include again, having to update all of the associated automations?

Here's a screenshot of the z-wave mesh details, where you can see the RTT avg for this one device is 224ms, while the others are 1-3ms:

Honestly, I would just reboot the hub which resets the stats and continue to monitor it. I have not really seen any improved results from doing a reset and pairing again. Unless you added a large number of devices close to it recently that have not been picked up as neighbors yet, then it may help by finding those neighbors faster than waiting for it to happen on its own.

If you reset and do a normal include again, the old node will be a ghost.
If you want to get it back into the same node, you would need to factory reset the device, then on the zwave details page, press refresh a few times, then replace.

Here is a guide I wrote on it.

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice. I rebooted the hub last night and will monitor it for a little while. I wasn't aware that a reboot would reset those statistics! Also I probably wouldn't have noticed it either, but I decided to stop running my nightly reboot script on all my hubs for a while. Otherwise I would never have seen the stats like they were!

Putting this here for reference. The way to remove and re-join a Z-wave device without breaking your automations is as follows.

1. Factory reset the device
  2. In the Hubitat web interface, go to Settings, Z-Wave Details.
  3. Find your device in the list, click the Refresh button for that device. A Replace button should appear after a couple seconds.
  4. Click the Replace button to start a z-wave inclusion and re-join your switch. This will rejoin the switch in place of the existing device.
    You can also use this to replace a switch with a different switch if necessary.
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.