External log server

Wondering if it's possible to either increase the date range of Past Logs, or dump them to an external server for historical diagnosis.

3 Likes

I had put in an enhancement request for syslog . . . Not a high priority but it would be nice to have.

3 Likes

Increased opportunity to review logs would be very beneficial. For example my hub froze this morning, while I'm on my way out the door. All I can do is reboot and get back to it later. No way for me to access the logs from that far back at this point, so I'm out of luck.

Yeah...that ones been asked for a lot. Don't think there's any plan for it unfortunately.

I'd rather have them spend that resources helping us figure out why some custom apps are slowing down the hub or causing lock up.

Wouldn't having external logs help you figure out which apps are locking up rather than having to guess? I don't see these two as mutually exclusive but instead one helping solve the other. How else are they going to figure out why they are locking up?

1 Like

It's possible, someone just needs to roll their own log server and connect to live logs.

1 Like

would really love to see this capability. I have a raspi redirecting logs from my home devices up to a free loggly account. Pumping Hubitat logs there would be a great feature and let me troubleshoot all the better.

1 Like

Now that we have HubiGraph, this is needed even more. I would like to see logs able to store 7 days of data minimum for trending. Always hoping for a Hubitat Pro model with more CPU and onboard storage/external storage options.

I run my own syslog server at home, and it would be great if there was a virtual driver, or something, that would allow me to have the hubitat report to my syslog server as well as keep local logs. I too have have 2 instances where this would have been helpful, once when my hub was completely offline and unresponsive via the webUI, app, and even ping replies. and the second was my own ignorance as a new hubitat owner. The former of these 2 instances I just happen to be 400 miles away and was concerned as my pet feeder works through my hubitat. Luckily i had someone that was able to come over and power cycle my hub, and haven't had any issues since, well, that weren't self influenced lol.. Just wanted to put my two cents in on how this functionality would be helpful in my little dot of the world!! Thanks dev's!!

oh, by the way it appears there is more than one feature request feed for this feature lol.. just an FYI:

2020-05 External logs / syslog feature request