Export settings to a file

Today is my 2 year anniversary on HE and it got me thinking about my hub breaking.
I was looking at the settings page on an APP, and was thinking... Can I get a JSON/XML/... file with all of my App settings, so if my hub dies, I'd have a file to recreate all of my automations?
I create daily backups, but since the devices are locked to the radio, I'm pretty sure I can't use that backup on a new hub. I'll take any other ideas as well.

Wouldn't restoring a backup be easier?

1 Like

RTFP Hub dies, buy new hub , backup doesn't work due to new ZWave Radio, unless that was fixed.

I believe.... For Z-Wave you are stuck with the re-discovery process for the devices. The parameters are in the Z-Wave radio chipset (for speed) and there is no simple way to update that data.

You will need to Exclude/Include the devices to the new Z-Radio. No change there.

The Backup works fine on a new hub. Restore and all your automations are there but with an EMPTY Z-Radio, you have to get them Included again. THEN you have to go through your config and 'stitch' the new device into the old automations.

2 Likes

In that case I'd still like a roadmap file if possible. Right now, I'd have to go off of names of automations and memory of what I did. Just my 2 cents.

You'd have to screen grab each of the properties windows. I don't think there is a way to do it built into the hub. I'm sure you could automate something. You'd just have to click each of the cog wheels and grap the screen after that.

Once you restore the backup, everything is there.. Device page shows a list of devices, Apps page shows a list of Apps, Code pages shows the code you added. :smiley:

What would a roadmap look like?

1 Like

In the UK we are in a slightly better position.
Our Z-Wave radio is on an external 'stick'.
If the hub dies we just move the z-wave stick (assuming this hasn't been toasted as well) to the new hub, restore a backup re-pair zigbee devices (the backup will remember the device id) and we are good to go.
If you have an internal z-wave radio you have 2 choices I believe.
Backup your z-wave radio settings somehow, (don't know how that is done as I don't need it) or start using an external z-Wave radio so you can move it to your new hub.

What is important to remember is that your backup file does retain all your hub apps so a reload of a backup does restore most of your setup.

1 Like

Huh, didn't know that. I have never had to restore a backup to an empty hub. If all of the things are on there, it will be sorting out the old, and adding in the new after discovery. Painful, and prone to misses, but doable.

A restore to a new hub LOOKS like a restore to your current hub. Visually it's identical.. exactly like the Soft Reset we suggest now and again.

The missing elements on a New Hub are the two Z-Radios are 'empty' and have new Home Network IDs. Zigbee devices need to pair to the new Home Network Number. Their Node number is hard coded and therefore matches what's in a restored backup.. they drop right back into place.

Z-Wave has the same settable Home Network ID but it ALSO has soft Node numbers. Both have to be set during the Include process and that's why there's the extra work with 'stitching' the new devices to the old automations.

There's many posts about theories of how to streamline this process. You can read them. You can 'backup' your ZWave Radio.. indirectly and using third party tools. An Aeon Z-Stick and their Backup Software is a big portion of that.

3 Likes