Experience with Aeotec Multisensor 6

I wish I could be of more help, but I can only paste for you what their support mailed me:

Here are the step-by-step instructions on how to add the ZSE40 without security using a 500 series Z-Wave stick:

1. Include the Z-Wave stick as a secondary controller using the PC Controller software (you can follow the first 4 steps in this support article to set the stick up using the software): In Hubitat, click on Discover Devices > Z-Wave > Z-Wave Inclusion and click on Classic Learn Mode in the PC Controller window. Uncheck any security boxes that Hubitat prompts.
  2. In PC Controller, click on the new PC Controller device created (Node ID different than 1).
  3. Click the 'Add' button.
  4. Click the Z-Wave button on the ZSE40 twice quickly to put it in inclusion mode (the LED indicator will flash quickly). If you open the logging screen in Hubitat, you will see activity including an Add Node completed message.
  5. Go back to the Z-Wave details page in Hubitat and check to see the sensor has been added. There should be "None" in the Security column.

An added note is that Silicon Labs has built a sort of Eclipse type Java "shell" that PC Controller is now a part of. So, it will seem like the link to their application is wrong, but it's because the PC Controller is an app you have to install from that shell environment.

1 Like

Yeah, I already have the working software for the Z-Stick -- I just didn't know you could actually add new devices to the network once it was added as a secondary controller. I've use the method to upgrade firmware on MS6 (pointless btw.)

1 Like

Yeah me either - my original thought was that it would pair to the secondary controller... wrong!

Also you cannot pair devices with S2 security as the authentication does not pass between controllers.

I only have 3 MS6's left in my network - they are all USB powered, firmware up to date (agree on the pointless!) and on the edge of my network.

Earlier (way before C-7) had lots of issues with the devices being very poor repeaters. To get around it there used to be a trick where if you paired the MS6 via battery first then switched to the usb connection it would not repeat. I think later firmware "corrected" this hack not sure I never had much luck anyway.

I still can't figure out why MS6 lasted a full year, or longer on ST, but only 2-3 months tops on HE, same mounting locations. Is it just that HE is way chattier? Obviously there's some difference, with how many people are experiencing the same problems.

Some have said that pre-C-7 the ST radio was more powerful. If that's the case some devices might have a more difficult time communicating / higher transmission error rate etc and therefore maybe use more energy. I'm not sure about this though.

I had the misfortune of having a group of MS6s in the basement that just happened encircle my hub.. this proved less than ideal, was periodically getting terrible throughput rates, device latency and a bunch of other seemingly random issues. Ended up relocating the hub back to the main floor, replacing most of the MS6's with Inovelli 4-in-1's and all was right with the world.

I did learn how to zniffer though so that was nice.

If I may ask, what is your experience with the Inovelli sensor.
As fast as Zigbee?
What kind of battery does it take?
Battery consumption?

So mine are usb powered... they seem to be responsive. Not as fast as Zigbee sensors but my goal was more not having to replace batteries all the time in the basement. The Inovellis do tend to sleep a lot so are probably better at powersaving than the MS6's. Both Inovelli and MS6 devices have the latest and greatest firmware.

If I were to go with a battery powered sensor it would probably be the NYCE stuff.

I have one of these, and it's battery usage is amazing low.
However, if you look closely at the price, you will see why I only have one of them:

(By the way, NYCE is a Canadian company!)

Adding a device to a C-7's secondary controller does work. I show this in another topic:

That test was triggered by a question of using a UZB-7 stick (700 series ZWave) vs any series 500 stick. So it may not be as detailed as you'd need... just be certain you understand that the Hubitat hub doesn't instantly see the new device. Patience is rewarded. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow why is that so expensive? We can get them for $52 USD / $66 CAD in the US.

It's the cost of adding French to the packaging. :smiley:

(very much a Joke.)

2 Likes

I've pretty much had it with the MS6, so I ordered some others to play with. Nyce ceiling, Hue outdoors, and indoors.

I have ST zigbee motion sensors from all years, including the very first, and man, they are so quick to respond, and last like a year on batteries. I do wish more of them used rechargeable AAAs though, like the first, because now I have an ARMY of Eneloops just sitting around.

I think you will like the NYCE stuff - very responsive and long lasting too.

didnt work from me,, showed up as a ghost device even after rebooting the hub.. this with aeon 700 series stick, but it is paired s2 with the hub.. the device pairs s2 unathenticated and would not pair otherwise with the hub, so that may also be part of the issue.. it did pair with no security with the stick, but not in out: as i mentioned on the hub.

Showing as a ghost is normal. But for ME, the ghost had a Discover button in the middle and clicking that and waiting as if I was newly Including, it showed up. That ZWave Details page is NOT dynamic so I did have to refresh the page to see it update fully. It remains fully operational for me today.

I've also gone into inclusion mode again on the HE and it popped up afterwards. Haven't really been able to pin down the exact sequence that works reliably.

I've tried this discover thing a few times and never had luck. I wish so badly that there was better feedback as to what was actually happening. I'll give this a try.

Also, does anyone know if you can modify the DNI of objects that do not have fields that allow?

Topic is old but hoping one of you can help me with a few settings on the MS6.

• Reporting interval...I only get a lux report about once an hour it seems
  • "Lux reporting threshold"...what is this exactly? Defaults to 100 Lux but has 10, 5, 2, and 1 avail
  • Why is the 'lux' so low? I'm used to seeing outside measurements in the 20,000 or even 50,000 range, inside mid day, all lights on and tons of natural light I get 16. Would expect 1,000 to 3,000 or so.

I would say your Lux readings are normal.

I have at least a dozen of the MS6s with two of them outdoors. One USB powered, one not.

The Indoor ones all have very small values. Rooms with south facing windows have readings between 22 and 55. The two outdoor values are: 473 and 1045. Both are under eaves and don't get direct sun. The 473 one is facing indirect northern light. The 1045 one is facing indirect southern light.

I have a single MS7 and it is indoors, facing none of the windows but receiving very indirect southern light. It reads: 68

The light sensor on the MS6 is recessed behind that hole in the front face, functionally turning it into a tube. Only directional light can make it in.

Thank you very much for the info, appreciate it. Any idea what the "Lux reporting threshold" is? I plugged it in and the reporting interval is solved.