Everything Xbee

I only have one Xbee on my network. And it happened again. I cut power to it overnight and when I powered it back up it had to be re-joined to the network. Maybe if you showed all of your device's settings with a screenshot from XCTU i could compare and see any differences. There has to be a reason it needs to be rejoined every time it powers up.

Difficult for me to grab screenshots between kids home and work.
I am off Monday for a week and kids will be back in school.
But I will try

This happens everytime you power off your xbee?
I will power off my other router xbees and see if what happens

Scratch that...yes, now it happens every time i remove and reapply power.

Ok good news I think I replicated it.
I powered off all my router Xbee3 and then powered on my end device Xbee3.
sure enough the end device Xbee3 would not go arrived.
All Router Xbee3 went departed with power off as they should.
Then I powered back on the router Xbee3 and they and the end device all were detected and went arrived.
So temp fix is to leave it as a router or buy a second Xbee3.

I am sure we can get the end device Xbee3 work but will have to dig into the settings.

I actually think I got it to not drop off the network. I took the extended PAN id from HE's zigbee details screen and replaced the 0 with that and it seems to be working. Just before doing that even removing power for a second would cause it to need to be rejoined. But now it seems to keep coming back on the network just fine.

1 Like

Great!
I thought that might work but was hoping we could find a way to automatically join like a router.
With out having to manually set them.
Very strange it doesn't

Well, I haven't tried that because I don't want it to be a router. LOL. I assume that the PAN id would work for that as well since it the same for the whole network.

I was able to sneak onto my computer and programmed my Xbee3 routers and end device with the Hubitat zigbee PAN id
ID = zigbee PAN id

Then I powered off all my devices.
I first powered on the end device I needed to place the Hub in zigbee joining mode to initially find the end device.
Then I powered off and on the end device again a few times and it appeared fine without needing joining mode enabled.

I then powered back on the router devices (programmed with the Hub PAN ID) and they appeared fine without requiring the hub to be in joining mode.

Lastly with the Xbee3 routers powered on I powered the Xbee3 end device off and on and it appeared fine and routed through one of the Xbee3 routers again fine.

I am going to play a bit more but I think it is safe to say that though it might not be needed to program router devices with the PAN ID it does not appear to hurt.

1 Like

No joy here. After leaving it powered down for a few hours and trying again, it had to be re-joined to the network again in order to work. Going to try setting it up as a router and see what happens.

So, it was configured as an endpoint and it was communicating fine and then after a while it just stopped had to rejoin to the network in order to get it to connect.

UPDATE:
A "router" setup does not seem to suffer from the same problem as an endpoint. Since I'll be powering using my car's electrical system, it will only be powered on for a brief period when it's in range so I will give this a shot and see how it works.

So, I finally found a solution that seems to work. I received my second Xbee today and configured that one as a router and the first as an endpoint. The endpoint joins immediately when being powered on, even after being off for a while, without having to rejoin the network. The router does the same. Now, here's the REALLY odd part. When the router is disconnected, the endpoint becomes disconnected as well. It seems that the xbees really prefer talking to each other than any other device. So, it seems like this will work for a presence solution for me. Now I will have to rig something up to do a distance test to see how far away it will work. :slight_smile:
Thanks for all your help @NoWon. I really appreciate it.

Hey Ryan,
Am I understanding correctly that you're trialing 1 xbee being used as a router (located within your house) and plan to have the other xbee in a car as a presence device ??
If this is the case it sounds very interesting.

@dan.t hey. I’ve installed your driver but am looking for some help as I’m getting errors in logs.
I have 2 Xbee 3 Pros. Both have same dev board and same model Xbee. Both are configured with exact same config (only difference is the device name). Both have the same driver settings (only difference is the name). One of the Xbee3 works fine - no errors in logs and events page has a lot of data. The other one (XBee Lounge) however has 1 event entry and constant error messages in the log files:

Any ideas what is going wrong?

Looking for some guidance. I'm running a network scan with the XBee unit, and it is picking up all of my repeaters (green highlights), but none of my zigbee end devices. Other than the Orbit hose timer and 3 Sengled bulbs, they are all motion, moisture, and contact sensors. Should these be showing? If so, any suggestions on XBee configuration changes needed?

UPDATE & QUESTION

After thinking about this a bit, I decided I would unplug all Zigbee routers/repeaters not in use and see how that would impact the scan results. As shown below, With the routers/repeaters unplugged, all of my zigbee end devices are found and displayed. I assume this is related to a number of hops limitation for displayed devices. It does raise a question for me. Assuming I am not having problems with devices dropping or being slow/non responsive do I really need the extra zigbee routers/repeaters distributed around the house/property, or am I better off to limit those in the absence of a real problem?

This is normal for most end devices. Some end devices will rejoin the network eventually by themselves but a lot will not.
xiaomi devices are a prime example of this.

I have been testing different settings and will post them tomorrow unfortunately I got called into work. I wanted to see what happens after a extended power off Xbee3 end device anyways.
One thing that does speed up the devices going present is setting
JN = 1 (optional but a device appears faster in the network. digikey recommends not enabling on a large network but does not define large network I enabled it and works for me)
*for both router or end device

Using 2 Xbee3 one as a router and one as an end device definitely works the best 100% success rate.
Also you will have much farther range, be able to use the router to scan your network when needed, you will have an expanded network capability since the Xbee3 routers can route 20 devices through them, and you will always know which router your end device is connecting to.
It is odd behavior for an end device but all positive.

@rabell
the second picture with all your end devices does not have a coordinator in it and your device list I am not seeing an Xbee device make sure you have paired the Xbee to Hubitat.
make sure for a Xbee3 router CE = 0, ZS = 2, Jv = 1 , Jn = 1, and AP = 1

@dan.t any chance you could add the TP (tempature) into the micropython transmission and device handler display? not really needed but it is already there on the Xbee3.

I'm wondering how to get digital IO pin control through Micropython on the xbee. I think i have the IO pin control figured out on the Xbee side. It's getting those commands to the board via a Driver is what has me very confused. I'm not up on Zigbee.

This could be a Zigbee alternative to the Hubduino device. And since the xbee has much deeper sleep functions, battery operated devices become possible again.

I had this as well, but it was rectified when the battery percentage propogated. I was getting errors when under Current States there was no battery - just presence.

I see you have the scan on for about an hour. That's probably not long enough to get all the end point devices. It's all depending on what type of devices you have.

Thanks @mike. It resolved itself in the end. HE was behaving badly last night so I had to reboot and since that it’s been working fine

I take a look at that but if I remember correctly, the temperature was the internal temperature of the Xbee and not the environmental temperature, that is why didn’t include it