Everything Xbee

Thanks @NoWon. Can you elaborate on this? Maybe a screenshot? How do I see this list of all the devices?

to be clear the names are only in Hubitat's zigbee mapping not Xbee XTCU

XTCU -tools -export table
exports to notepad and looks like this with just the hex address's (no names)

Hubitat's (with device names)
https://your hub's ip/hub/zigbee/getChildAndRouteInfo
looks like this

as you can see atleast with mine less devices are reporting in Hubitat's.
Still very useful and easier to read.
This will differ for everyone of course some people may see them all depending on how your devices are routed.

1 Like

I need some help as by Xbee cannot find any Zigbee devices and I cannot figure out why - I am a newby...

I have two Zigbee networks, Xiaomi and HE. I am at this point interested in getting the HE mapped.

The hardware I use is XB3-24Z8ST and 76000956 (Digi Xbee Grove Development Board) both bought from Mouser.

I have XCTU installed and have the radio module identified and have made the configuration the same as at the start of the thread. You will notice I am now on firmware version 1005, I have tired 1006 but it has the same results as 1005.

I have initialized the device in HE and have the same result as many other, it initializes but you have to go into the Systems Settings --> Zigbee to find the device and give it a name. ie. It is known to HE.

I can confirm the the details in the config file after commissioning match those of the HE hub (that is the the PAN ID's - OP and OI). And the channel in HE is 19 and in Xbee 1C (CH). I also have the KY key set as at the top of this thread.

So all seems in order.

Now when I start a "Discovering remote devices" nothing is found even if I leave it on for some hours. The HE hub and Xbee router are very close. I have tried many many times on firm ware 1005 an 1006.

Anyone have any suggestions, thanks. (sorry for all the attached data but it may help)

Here are the details

1. Xbee initializing in HE
Summary

1. HE Xbee device information
Summary

1. HE Hub information
Summary

1. Xbee configuration
Summary

1. Xbee discover process - that never finds anything
Summary

To map your zigbee mesh, click on the Network mode icon (top right corner, IIRC). Then click the scan button. I think the discovery you detail in your step 5 is for finding other Xbee type devices.

How simple, why did I not see this! Anyway the network now shows up. Many thanks.

1 Like

Alright guys, got my first order of Xbee's yesterday and man am I loving these little things!

Here comes my first contribution:
I have created a small mircopython app that runs on the XBee which sends every minute the current voltage attached to the Zigbee. In additon, I have created a new device driver that is a Presence Sensor and exposes the battery status. I think you already know where I am going with this. I am going to try to install an Xbee powered by batteries in a car to see how reliably you can get presence detection with these guys. I am just waiting on an Amazon order for some parts.

However, what I have now is already usable, even for Router XBees.
You can find my device driver here: Hubitat/xbee.groovy at master · danTapps/Hubitat · GitHub
Just install it in Hubitat and assign it to your Xbee devices in Hubitat

Here comes the installation for the XBee.
First and foremost, you have to change the parameter PS to 1. This will tell the XBee to run a script on start.
Download my little script Hubitat/main.py at master · danTapps/Hubitat · GitHub
and name it main.py
With XTCU, transfer this file to your Xbee (XTCU->Tools->File System Manager) and just store it right in the root folder.
Reset your Xbee and you should receive updates in Hubitat in regard to presence and battery. The first update might fail as the device is not connected to your Zigbee network yet but you should see an update within 2 minutes. The little python app tries to send it every 60 seconds.

Why is this helpful even for a Router? You can see that your Router is alive and actually connected to Hubitat. Let's say the router has an issue, the device driver will change the presence status from "present" to "not present" and you can be alerted about this.

I have tested this with an XB3-24Z8ST and firmware 1006, however, I am doing nothing specific here and it should also work with other devices/firmware versions.

All the other functions of the Router XBee are not affected, you can still to spectrum analysis, mapping, etc.

Hope this might be helpful for someone.....

7 Likes

I knew someone smarter than me would eventually figure this out.
Interesting you were able to do it as a router instead of an end device.
Can not wait to try it out!

My "in the car" Xbee will be an end device, including going to sleep mode to preserve battery.
As a router, you can still send packages to the coordinator (hubitat) and that is exactly what is being done here. Nothing different than a main powered outlet does that acts as an repeater.

1 Like

In my car I am just going to power it off the usb or rearview mirror power so it will only have power and show presence when the car is turned on.

My other car I use a SmartThing Arrival sensor (3 volts).
I rewired to 2 AA rechargeable batteries and wired a charging circuit board to it then plugged into a USB port in the car. So it charges the batteries whenever the car is running.
I have never had to change batteries.
The range is not great with the Arrival sensor though.
But I could do that for power as well.

2 AA may not be enough to power the Xbee though I would have to check but I think they need 5 volts.
So 4 AA batteries or a rechargeable USB battery pack but it is very hard to find ones that allow low voltage draw.
Most have low voltage protection built in which prevents them working with Xbees or other low voltage devices.
Search for battery packs that work with rasberry pi or Arduino and you might get lucky if the manufacturer has'nt updated the battery pack hardware.

They operate from 2.1V to 3.6V. The USB power you supply is regulated down to 3.3V. I am more concerned about current but will have to play with that for a while

Hi Xbee gurus,
I am hoping that people here will be able to advise me if Xbee is a solution to a potential problem.

I have a few items on there way from china including Xiaomi door sensors, Xiaomi Aqara Temp/Humidity sensors and Gledopto soposh light bulbs. My potential problem is, alot of this gear will be going in a part of the house that I'm not confident that it will communicate well with the HE. I only have one Zigbee switch in between the HE and planned location. The switch has also been reported to not route well. My plan is to build a Xbee router and place it central to the area with these new devices. The distance from the Xbee to the sensors and lightbulbs would be about 3 meters going through a one brick wall. Distance from the HE to the Xbee would be about 8 meters going around 1 corner. Direct from Xbee to HE would be a couple meters less but have to go through 2 brick walls.

Could anyone advise me if you think this setup would potentially work? I have also red in this forum that when using Xbee with Xiaomi you need a non A version of the xbee. Is this still true?

regards

Marko

I have never heard of these but since they are zigbee they should be fine.

Will work great for the Xiaomi devices

not sure which you are referring to regarding the non A version
the only non A version I know of was not regarding Xbee but for Sylvania SMART+ Plug 72922 working with Xiaomi devices

Xbees MUST be zigbee versions of course

Let's see/hear some of the ways you're housing and powering your Xbee modules.

@dan.t I submitted a pull request in Github for the driver to add the Enable/Disable function from the ST Arrival Sensor Advanced driver. This allows the user to disable automatic detection of presence and set it manually during that time. VERY useful when your device isn't going to be battery powered. I've been using this code for a while it doesn't seem to have any issues that I can tell with your driver. So, @NoWon, this would be how you would be able to power off your cars 12v system and not worry about the sensor arriving when it is powered on in your garage.

1 Like

Had a question for the experts here....I'm looking at the XB3-24Z8ST-J:
Because I want to be able to mount the antenna outside my garage door under the overhang. When i approach my garage, I'm almost perfectly lined up with the door and I think I am getting interference with the giant metal door that's in my way. So, I figured with this one I could mount the antenna outside. So, which antenna is best to use? I've been looking on amazon and there are just so many different kinds and some say 5ghz and some say 2.4 and some say dual. I know i want one that supports 2.4 but would a dual also work okay? For example, would this one work:

Any advice on how to pick one out or tell a good one from a bad one would be very, VERY appreciated.

Thanks!!!

I am using an old (15-20 years) 2.4 Ghz 9 or 12 dBi (I don't remember) I dug it out of my junk box which works fine.
Most of these new ones that use magnetic bases use weak magnets likely because strong magnets could cause interference.
also you will want to point the antenna straight up or down.
A dual band should work fine.
I generally choose the Amazon prime product with the most number of good reviews.

Thanks!

very impressed!
They were not kidding about the range!
finally had time to test out one of my Xbee3 XB3-24Z8ST as an arrival sensor
I changed it to an end point and used an old Asus dual band wifi antenna (maybe 1-2 dbi could not find the specs)
asus
set on the dash of my car.

and an old 2.4 wifi omnidirectional antenna (I think it is a 12 dbi) attached to another Xbee3 XB3-24Z8ST set as a router in the second floor corner of my house.

It picked picked up the Xbee3 arrival while driving 1/2 mile (600 meters) away.
I could likely do better with a better antenna in the car but 1/2 mile is plenty.

compared to the SmartThings arrival sensor which will only pickup at best when walking 2-3 houses away or in the car it is usually in the driveway before detected.

driver issue: (cosmetic)
The Xbee3 device display shows 2 sets of
"Minutes elapsed until sensor is not present *"
one says "click to set"
and the second says
"3 minutes"
I set both to one minute and they still display
"click to set"
and
"3 minutes"
but still functions with the selected 1 minute selection.

As far as powering the Xbee3 arrival in the car I am going to leave it only powered using USB so it is only present when the car is running. This way if any of the kids get out in the garage and keys happen to be within range of push to start or command start happens to start the car my garage door will open.

I updated the original post for end point settings (I didn't need to change SP settings)
AP = 0 (for an end device)
SM = 5 (has to be not 0 for end devices)
and I just pressed reset on the USB board to get it to change from router to end device.

Thanks Dan.t !

1 Like

Come on guys! I was perfectly content with my little chip antenna Xbees. Now I have a voice in my head repeating, “Need more range”. Back to Mouser, I go.:smiley:
All joking aside, thanks for another fun project!

Love it. I didn’t get to play as much I wanted to yet as I am traveling for work. I am not sure if a 1/2 mile is too much for me... I might have to play with the PL parameter a bit to find the sweet spot, would rather fire presence a bit closer to home.