Ethernet Not Working After 2.3.8.139 Update

Model: C7
Version: 2.3.8.139, updated from 2.3.8.134 this morning
Connection: Ethernet
IP: DHCP with a static reservation
Powered with Supplied Brick

Network: Opnsense Router connected to Ubiquiti EdgeSwitch 16-150W, Jumbo Frames enabled between Router and Brocade. DNS & DHCP handled by OPNsense router. The switch port for my C7 is lit and now rarely shows activity.

After updating from 134 to 139 today, my C7 stopped communicating over Ethernet. The troublesome 138 update was never applied to this device.

I've attempted the Network Reset via the hidden button several times with no success.

I've tried creating a new DHCP reservation, no luck, and removed the DHCP reservation for my C7 hoping it would trigger an IP assignment, no luck. In fact, monitoring the switch port my C7 is connected to shows almost no traffic.

I've pulled out an old WRT54G router and connected my C7 to test connection and DHCP. The physical port shows the link is up, but still no DHCP. Attempted hidden button Network Reset with the old router, still doesn't resolve the issue.

Find My Hub is returning the IP from my original DHCP reservation and the Hub Detail on the Registered Hubs, shows my C7 last checked-in about 15 minutes prior to doing the update, 04/12/2024 - 09:11:46.

Update 2:50 PM - 4/12/2024:
Mirrored the switch port for my C7 and running output into WireShark. Output shows my C7 is attempting to communicate, but from an APIPA address of 169.254.9.184. My C7 is requesting DHCP and responses are being sent from the router, but my C7 just keeps requesting an address near continuously.

@gopher.ny Any thoughts?

Get yourself a LAN IP address scanner for your platform of choice. On Windows I use Advanced IP scanner, but programs are available for cellphones as well. The scanner will provide a list of any IP devices attached to your LAN either through Ethernet or WiFi. It provides the IP address and the MAC address. If it can determine the manufacturer information, it will provide that as well. If you look on your Hubitat, you will see the MAC address. Just match the MAC address to the device in the list.

You might actually be able to connect to it on the 169. address, other people have been able to do that before, fix whatever its problem was, then get it back online properly.

That's a negative. With a cross-over cable connect between my laptop and C7, I can get the APIPA address (still 169.254.9.184), ping my c7, and get a reply. However, HTTP and HTTPS attempts to the APIPA address result in empty response on 80 and 8081.

Is it possible to attach my C7 directly to a pc via USB and re-flash?

Does the light ever go green or does it stay blue? If it turns green, then set a network reservation on your DHCP server for the hubitat and then using a paperclip press the network reset button on the bottom of the hub for 7 seconds (it will be the only round hole out of all the square ones) and see how that goes.

He's been there, done that, it appears...

1 Like

Does the light ever go green or does it stay blue?

It goes green after a couple of minutes. Thanks to wireshark I can see my C7 is already using an APIPA address before the light goes green.

If it turns green, then set a network reservation on your DHCP server for the hubitat and then using a paperclip press the network reset button on the bottom of the hub for 7 seconds (it will be the only round hole out of all the square ones) and see how that goes.

Tried it many, many times.

So... Is it possible to attach my C7 directly to a pc via USB and re-flash?

I was finally able to access my C7 on the APIPA address with WireSharks help. 80 server was non-functional. Diag on 8081 would respond, but the ports it responded on were all over the place. Using port remapping I was able to access the Diag server and restore 134. Everything is functioning properly now. I'll wait for the next major release before I attempt an upgrade again.

Best guess is the Ethernet driver or the config for the webservers were hosed as part of the 139 upgrade on my C7. Why? How? No idea. I am certain my C7 dhclient was not ACK'ing DHCPOFFER.

Excellent troubleshooting on your part...glad you're up and running again. This looks like an isolated/odd issue, hopefully won't happend again.

You guys are scaring me. I have been holding back on the update after reading about static IP addresses and the last update. All 3 of my local hubs are static. I was planning to update today after the Costco run. I have ARPwatch running on my router so if the hub doesn't keep it's IP address ARPwatch will report the change.

:scream: :scream: :scream: :wink:

Come on in, the water's fine. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Only thing I can think to try would be to switch to a static IP on the hub settings, and then switch back to dhcp or do a network reset. That should get all the correct settings flipped back to dhcp. Maybe something from an older build is stuck in there?

Did the update this morning while everyone was still sleeping. Didn't lose the static IP address phew.

1 Like

The static IP address issue was resolved with the most recent hotfix: