Enerwave RSM2-PLUS - Status Polling

I have an Enerwave RSM2-PLUS using the Generic Z-Wave Plus MultiSwitch driver per other thread's guidance. The switch works great, but the device status does not get updated when using the physical switch. I have installed the built-in z-wave polling app, but this device, nor its two children show up as selectable devices. I also have an Enerwave RSM1 Single Relay and that device did appear in the poller device selection, and that is working great.

What am I missing on the dual relay?

It’s a zwave+ device, and therefore cannot be polled. It also shouldn’t need polling. Which driver are you using?

I think there is an rsm2 plus specific driver from @ericm.

Apparently that was true at one time, but Hubitat added a device that is supposed to work according to this thread. RSM2-Plus Dual relay

Do you think they left out the polling part as an oversight? I suppose I can try that more specific driver you noted and see what happens.

Ok, I found the old rsm2 plus specific driver and installed, but I could not get the child devices to behave. Gave up and wen back to the Hubitat driver. Then added a RM rule to hit the refresh every 10 secs on the specific switch I really care about for some other rule handling. Thanks much for the help.

1 Like

If it really is a Zwave Plus device, the reason you cannot set it up for polling is because ZWave plus devices are supposed to report state changes back to the hub automatically. This reduces strain on the zwave mesh. Possibly the Group 1 association to the hub never got set so it is not sending reports?

How would I add/fix that? Here's what I see on the parent device:

I think its supposed to get set when you pair the device. The custom drivers I work with actually confirm it is set but I have never seen a device where it is not set.

If you use the Basic Zwave Tool and run the Association Report it should show you the groups 1-5 associations in the logs. Group 1 typically only has 1 entry in it, which is the number 1 (the DNI of the hub).

1 Like

Man, I really appreciate the help. Ok, ran the report...does this look right?

Yes, group 1 is associated with the hub. A compliant Zwave+ device should send all status updates to that DNI (the hub in this case). If you leave that zwave tool driver on there and then turn the device on/off or whatever it can do, you should see some debug logs generated that says "skip:" and then what might look like a bunch of garbage. It would be the reports being sent by the device. It is possible they are being sent but whatever driver you are using is not properly handling them for some reason, but that does not explain how it would work when refreshing it. Worth a shot though to see if it sends anything on its own without refreshing.

Yeah, I left the driver installed and toggled the physical switch a couple of times. Nothing at all appeared in the logs.

It is definitely (according to the box), a Z-Wave Plus device. Enerwave ZWN-RSM2-PLUS.

On your device details page is there an inCluster 0x5E (Zwave+) ?

Yes, it appears to be:

2 things. Is it paired with security? Also can you post a copy of your z-wave details page in it's entirety?

Edit: I don't think they are paired with security, but not positive where to look to be certain.

Here's the drivers I'm using. And the Z-Wave details page. I've not seen either the single or the dual report on their own.

And here's this view:

That's a lot of route changes in that switch. That's a big concern. How far away is that switch to the hub?

The Garage Dual switch is about 20 feet from Hub. Maybe two walls in between.
The Living Room Single is about 30 feet form the Hub.

I'm gonna jump in here with some similar observations. I have several of these around my yard. I needed a good dual switch device to handle specific lighting. The Enerwave RSM2-PLUS, looked like a great choice and was perfect in terms of form factor, etc...

I even have a few Enerwave RSM1 singe devices that work great with generic built-in drivers...

But the RSM2's seem to cause me issues both with my mesh and in practical application. They do not always update status or communicate with the hub, either by direct physical on/off or also when remotely switched... Because of this, several lighting routines "hang" and then cause other routines to fail...

I have no idea if it is because of the drivers or a physical issue with the device.

I have used both the custom drivers and the newer generic builtin drivers (that's what I'm using currently) but haven't seen much of a difference.

All of them are directly connected to the hub. Dealing with all of this, I thought it might be signal issues. I did @lewis.heidrick's external antenna mod and it has improved things a lot, especially with all my other devices. I even drilled tiny holes in the fixtures and extended the RSM2 antenna outside of the enclosure. All of them show direct connection to the hub and at the appropriate speeds.

So, seeing this post, makes me wonder if I should just bite the bullet and replace them with something else... I would love to find its a driver or hub issue I could fix, before tearing apart all of these fixtures...

1 Like

Per the manual: Unsolicited Report Configuration

ZWN-RSM2-PLUS can send unsolicited status reports to the primary controller (Node ID 0x1) when the switch is toggled if the controller is designed as a gateway. If your controller is not a gateway or does not need the status reported or you think it could confuse your Z-Wave network, you can use Command_Class_Configuration to disable this function.

[THE KEY TAKEAWAY] By default this function is disabled.
Configuration Details:
− Parameter number: 3
− Parameter size: 1
− Parameter value:
0.........................Disabled
1.............Send Broadcast

If the driver is not setting this parameter, it could be the source to all the "not updating when I toggle manually" problems. I'm not sure if these would then clog up the network, but it's certainly worth finding a way to set that parameter and testing.

That parameter could be checked and set using the Basic Z-Wave tool I posted above

1 Like