Enabling conditional logic to “wait for condition”

Can you share with is why doing this with a bunch of waits would be better than setting a Boolean true or false and using some if and esle if stuff? If you look at the thread the whole issue boils down to the OP wanting to follow hubitats advice and make it "simple" but cant

Why not just break it into two rules?

Or, you can wait for multiple events -- which has an implicit OR logic to it.

Would doing like this. But with the trigger being the Boolean changes be wrong. Or harder for hubitat to process

That would be great if I could. I just don’t know how to do that with sensors of different types.

Wait for Events allows you to define multiple events, each separate from the other:

1 Like

Lol. I’m such a noob. This is wait for events 101. I’m sorry for having wasted everyone’s time. I haven’t actually had a look at the wait for events function, I was using the wait for conditions function, and, unless I was blind when I was doing this (I’m not at a computer at the moment), I didn’t see that option in the wait for condition function.

Which leads me to another question. What’s the philosophical difference between wait for condition and wait for event?

First off, note that you can wait for multiple events, but only for a single condition. Why? Because for multiple events the logic is always simply OR. But for multiple conditions one could have pretty much any logic (which isn't supported by Wait for Condition).

An event is something that happens in the system. A conditions is the current state of something. The former entails simply firing when the desired something happens. The latter entails examining the current state of the condition when the Wait for Condition is encountered, and then again upon each event that might change the state of the condition.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.