Emailing a "status report" for room temperatures every hour

Setting the global variable isn't a condition, it's the action. You have it correct. Setting the global variables happens first in the list of operations. So, it is set at the top of the actions of your trigger. Then, you go into the HTTP request function, and where you want the variable to appear you paste it in inside curly brackets. So, if your variables are EVTempVAR, MBRTempVAR and SMKTempVAR and your IFTTT event was "temp" and your key was dkwiisoskjgfnwo, the url would look like this:

https://maker.ifttt.com/trigger/temp/with/key/dkwiisoskjgfnwo?value1={EVTempVAR}&value2={MBRTempVAR}&value3={SMKTempVAR}

Does that make sense?

You can go back after adding a trigger....you just have to finish adding the broken one then you can delete it on the define triggers page. You trigger in this case is going to be "periodic" every n minutes set to 15 or 30 or whatever. Do you know how to set that up? You don't want to use the Variable as a trigger.

I have one that I was using to report Lux reading to Google Sheets to figure out what value I should use a trigger to see when it's dark out (I don't know what a lumen looks like, and this was easier than sitting there and watching). This is the trigger in HE.

Not all that complicated.

Got it. Thanks for that. Let me plug it in and see where we're at.
I think I'm damn damn close. (you can tell by the 3 edits to my post that I continued to make progress as I was writing the post).

fingers crossed.....

You, sir, are an outstanding member of this community. Thank you so much for your suggestion and your help.

1 Like

Latching on to this thread since it covers exactly the technique I'm having an issue with.

I've been using a rule to add power data values to a Google spreadsheet via IFTTT Maker, and it has worked fine for months. Yesterday, I attempted to add an additional value to track and became aware that IFTTT can only handle three values (is that correct?). Anyway, I undid my change and now it isn't working at all. What exactly is the syntax of the body to pass values? I know that IFTTT is firing and the spreadsheet is updating, but the values aren't being passed.

[Full disclosure: I also updated to 2.1.7.118 last night but doubt that has anything to do with it. I'm pretty sure I'm just making a syntactical error.]

Post2

@HAL9000 This works well for adding data to a Google Sheet.

Thanks. I appreciate knowing there is an alternative, and there will come a time when I want to ween myself completely off of IFTTT. But for now, my preference would be just to restore the method I have been using for months until I started messing with the syntax.

Changed my mind. 2.1.7.118 was the cause of the problem. I've retreated to 2.1.6.112 and it works again.

Revisiting a year later, as I wanted to capture some additional sensors, but I think something in the way Rule Machine 4.0 sets Global Variables changed, and I can't figure it out from the RM4 documentation.

The two issues I'm having are getting the action to run at all (it doesn't ping the webhook when I hit "run actions") and setting the variables.

In the new GV section of RM4, I set the variables as decimals, and then in the rule, tried capturing the temps as a "sensor value" and a "device attribute." Neither are working as expected. When I copy the URL and drop it into a browser, it does trigger the webhook, but passes the string, not a value.

I was following my previous rule that was working, but can't figure out what changed. Doing this sleep deprived isn't helping.

The "{" "}" bracketing in the GET is incorrect - use "%" before and after the variable names. "value1=%BSMT1%", and so on.

1 Like

SAVIOR! Thank you so much.

1 Like

There's a great Thermostat Tracker app which also helps you understand your HVAC usage throughout the day. Might be a better fit for some people: