ELI5 Second hub or Hue for ZigBee

ELI5 (Explain like im 5) I've come across a few posts that have referenced second hubs or Hue. Now I know this is due to poor repeating devices, but what I don't get is what happens by having a second hub, how does it improve ZigBee. Does it create 2 meshes etc.. and can't you just disable the repeating

1 Like

Yes, there are two meshes. Some of the troubled devices like higher channels, like sylvania lightify lights. They like channel 20, so the main hub would be on channel 15 and your second would be set to channel 20. Two different meshes. You can link the second hub (talking hubitat hubs) together and integrate everything together to the main hub without the troubled devices interfering with terrible repeating habits. Keeps your mesh harmonious. The troubled bulbs like cree and syvania repeat well for themselves, but not for other devices. And then there are some motion sensors like xiaomi/aquara that use a unique protocol that makes them difficult to work with, but not impossible. These keep the issues away from the main hub and for whatever reason, people have much less trouble when these devices are separate from the main hub. Same concept with hue, but integrated diffeently. But much the same concept.
Does that help?

1 Like

The above answer is great, so just to add a direct answer to this specific question:

No. :slight_smile: (Or to be less succint, users can't control that, only the device firmware/manufacturer can. That is why the workaround for us as users is to separate problem devices like many smart bulbs onto their own network, like a Hue Bridge network or second Hubitat.)

OMGOSH .. I didn't even see that last question. Again ... thanks Bert.

I would add that if you plan on using Hue lights, get the Hue bridge, otherwise just get a second HE hub for Zigbee lights. Hue lights definitely aren’t worth the money unless they are on their bridge; they just don’t seem to work very well outside that environment. Also, all of my Sylvania bulbs are on a second HE hub on channel 25 and have been perfect for the past 6 months or so with not a single dropped device.

1 Like

Yeah that does help. So what issues do they cause?

I have everything on one hub and song experience any problems, but I am looking at increasing the number of devices I have soon.

In short, bulbs make poor repeaters, so it is recommended to use sengled which do not repeat. the other issues, you can simply search the equipment out here and find your answers. There have been so many issues posted with these particular devices, you'll have no trouble finding your answers. And that will help you to make good mesh choices when you purchase.

I have a lot of sengleds, but then some ikea ones. I think I might look at a second hub( when they come in stock) thanks @april.brandt I read a few of your 'just a girl' novice guides

1 Like

Depending on what you came from, you might be able to connect your old hub. If wink, then you're kind've out of luck, but Smartthings has a connection, which you can use for cloud services, etc. Sengleds work great. If you don't have a ton of troubled devices, then wait for a second hub. 1 or 2 of a cree is probably not going to give you issue. Or 1 or 2 of the xiaomi/aquara/mija the same. So a second hub might not be necessary if your future purchases are well thought out. A good device giving less problem in the long run is much more valuable early on than adding multiple hubs and buying cheap knock-off devices. You'll still have problems. Rome wasn't built in a day, Shane. Don't rush.

1 Like