Elevated and Severe Hub Loads with v2.3.4

It has been solid for me on .138 for 4-5 days so far. Not sure if it was the software or my removal of HomeKit Integration or both but no issues. I will (eventually) test adding HomeKit back in to see if that changes anything.

1 Like

Yep, Zero issues since upgrading and I’m back to multiple days of uptime.

4 Likes

I can confirm also that the latest platform updates solved the elevated and severe hub load issues.

1 Like

The only issue I’ve found with .139 is it breaks the Zen thermostat.

I’m still parked on 2.3.3.140 and won’t be moving until there’s a definitive “fixed” on this, ideally with a little explanation as to what was so broken.

Three completely borked hubs and the lights not working does indeed raise uncomfortable questions as to the suitability of my purchase, and rightly so.

2 Likes

Huh, okay so the word is that this is "fixed".

Fixed high CPU usage/memory leak under certain conditions.

@gopher.ny Is there any chance we could get some detail on what these certain conditions were? It would rather restore my confidence. At the moment this platform-disrupting bug is just subject to mystery and intruige, two things I don't like powering my home. :wink:

I had the issue once on 2.3.4.137, then with 2.3.4.138 logging was added

Ive had no issues since .139 either

Lets see what gopher.ny has to say on this

1 Like

An explanation wouldn't make sense without knowledge of the internals of hub software.

6 Likes

Even if we don’t know the internal details, it would still be nice to get a general explanation as to the cause and maybe what is planned to avoid it in the future. At the least it would go a ways in helping with trust in the platform.

6 Likes

In general, I'm sure that something was doing something that it wasn't supposed to do. They stopped the thing from doing the thing it wasn't supposed to do. Now they know to look out for the thing doing that thing it wasn't supposed to be doing.

Ha! I should take up doing stand-up.

9 Likes

Spot on response. As a new HE user, the reply left by @gopher.ny comes off as dismissive and doesn't give me a lot of confidence in HE's commitment to clear communication or transparency. I made the time-consuming move from ST in the fall because I felt Samsung had completely failed their user community in communicating key dates and specifics around the Groovy EOL. As they say, "Things that make you go hmmm."

4 Likes

Honestly, this is the first time in my several years of ownership several that Hubitat had a major performance issue to deal with.

4 Likes

I can understand pause for thought having just moved onto the platform and experiencing performance issues such as this. I would encourage you to spend some more time taking in the experience over a slightly longer period, seeing the benefits it can bring.

I'd also add that while it's not ideal when issues like this come up, I still feel that the response time is commendable for the HE engineers to identify the root cause and get a fix out, also given the time of year. I can only imagine there are situations where diagnosing issues like this can be tough and require multiple iterations of development and testing across a number varying setups.

Personally I am happy to leave the details to those who continue to deliver us a great experience. If there are a few glitches every now and again, I can accommodate that, and I'd prefer to judge them on their record over a period of time, rather than pinning them down on the details of a single issue.

9 Likes

That and the ability to roll back to a previous stable version for those who need it, is what makes it ok for me.

Although I’m interested in details (from a personal perspective) I understand that this is not always relevant for all of the community. The options we have on providing feedback and working around a given issue is what counts for me.

4 Likes

Really? I started this thread back on 27th November and it's taken two months to seemingly get to the bottom of a platform-breaking bug. I've had very little interaction with the HE guys (nothing beyond what you see on this thread) and it would just be nice to have a little more than "trust me, bro - you wouldn't understand" as the feedback.

That's the ticket.

I know not everyone here is a sysadmin or a developer or a Linux nerd, I just happen to be all of those things and a note that said "ah, it was issues with the way we did Thing X for Feature Y so we've applied Fix Z to it" would be appreciated. At least that way if I, or anyone else, sees similar issues again we might find this thread and know to try turning Feature Y off. Or even know that there's absolutely nothing we can do and should report it quick-smart before others can't control their lights.

I'm not looking for any beef here and really very much appreciate the work of the devs who have found the issue and smushed it. Once I've seen enough positive feedback that I'm happy to update and test (as I'll need to do all three hubs at the same time) then I shall nip back and mark this as solved. Cheers, all!

5 Likes

All you need to do is either A/ raise a support ticket, or B/ reach out to staff like @gopher.ny or @bobbyD . I’ve always found them to be helpful.

I got access to beta versions within days of providing my hub ID to Hubitat and giving them permission to scrape engineering logs.

You may have had a unique issue, as most of us here didn’t run into issues until after the HomeKit underpinnings were rolled out.

Yeah, I did. Provided my IDs and all that jazz. No dice. :man_shrugging:

This was from the first 2.3.4 release with the HomeKit integration. I'm a Homebridge user, which is why I dived in to see how this fared in comparison. The HomeKit integration worked great, but thank goodness for the rollback feature, saved my bacon! :slight_smile:

So am i and i wont say i’ve turned my back on HomeBridge completely, but so far Hubitat has provided me with some HomeKit functionality that no HomeBridge was able to provide so far without adding hardware to the RPI, namely Zwave and Zigbee device exposed to Homekit.

Im on beta 2.3.4.142 now and since 139 ive had no issues whatsoever (besides some rendering issues of overlapping text)

2 Likes

I can see why people are pissed off, normally hubitat is very closed off and secretive about their internal workings. Even large vendors provide a one or two liner when something goes haywire, not just "it's fixed". That and the fact that your own hub configuration data is encrypted, is a huge turn off. Then again this isnt an open source product, but the company hubitat does enjoy the benefits of the open source community, i.e. countless end users providing their time and labor writing custom integrations and drivers and sharing that publicly.

Personally I think it's B.S., but as long as the hub doesn't give me too much trouble the incentive to switch away from hubitat is minimal. That being said, it's not exactly a healthy or positive relationship that hubitat as an org is engendering with it's users.

If a competitor were to come along that addresses these issues, I'm guessing some people wouldn't have too much trouble making the switch.

So why don't you try being a bit more open as an organization and not quite as dismissive hubitat inc.

2 Likes

Count me in the group of users that doesn’t need to know how the sausage gets made.

Kudos to @gopher.ny and the rest of the team for identifying and correcting whatever details under the hood led to some (but not all) users to encounter this issue.

7 Likes