Efficiency in rule machine

Hi all, I hope this note finds you all well.

I'm a few months into HE and still getting my head around things. Love the device and the community on this forum.

Hopefully a quick question. I am planning on creating a scene when I come home from the front door. Things I'd like to operate are living room blinds and light switches when back door opens
I currently have a two rules set up

1. If the back door opens open the blind
  2. If the back door opens at night turn on the lights

Should I condense these into one rule or should I create a scene? I haven't yet moved into the house so not sure if the multiple rules off the one trigger is going to be causing an issue as I build more into the platform. I have about 50 devices so far and various automation built. Haven't yet moved to see how reliable this is under load..

Love to hear your thoughts.

Anthony

For organization and ease of updating, I tend to store positions and levels of devices in scenes. I like this because I could have multiple rules that playback a scene, but If I decide I want to update a level, I can do it one in the scene and it becomes true no matter what triggers it.

1 Like

Hi Antony,

You will find that there are many ways to do the same thing, but one is not necessarily better than the other - find what works best for you.

If you do want to group those two rules into one with an if condition to support the 2nd action, it would also work.

I am not a big user of scenes and I have seem some users run into issues with many complexe scenes.

1 Like

@Antoun Honestly both these can be done in Simple Automations. No need to use RM... Set your restrictions for #2 for sunset to sunrise.

1 Like