Ecolink Z-Wave Plus Contact Sensor: Possible to Directly Associate Devices?

Is it possible to directly associate devices, such as switches, to an Ecolink Z-Wave Plus contact sensor? I have yet to find a custom driver that might do this.

Thanks.

Would it be possible to send commands at the advanced screen of the device page, and of course, what would they be?

Take this for whatever it is worth, but I don't recall ever seeing this done. I have seen a very few people do direct association with switches, but that seems to give them trouble even doing that. I think it is like you mention, there needs to be a driver written with this in mind, and I am not aware of any.

Hopefully someone more well versed with Zwave associations can give a better answer.

I think I know the answer already, but what do you think this will do different/better than using other methods to tie these devices together (rule, etc).

1 Like

My hub is acting flakey. Intermittent latency using simple rules of 10 seconds or more while dashboard control is fine. I'd like to use this in certain areas, like for the basement, pantry, etc. I already did this for my outdoor motion sensors and their associated lights: fast, dependable.

As an aside, the outside motion detectors start when its dark out since they have built in luminescence sensor, and don't have to depend on non-working sunset/sunset rule.

I'm thinking maybe another hub or z-stick and software could do it, if it's even possible on the Ecolink contact sensor. I tried the Inovelli tool, but it didn't work on it.

Try the 2.2.4.147 update. It has a fix in there for this.

Maybe this driver could be modified for your other sensors? Is this a community driver, or a built-in one? I am of zero help with code and Groovy, but it might be possible for someone to modify IF code is available.

Thought that was the case, but I would try todays update and see if that helps anything. I would also do a backup before update, and after the update do a full shutdown, and pull the power cord for 1 minute before booting again.

The other thing I would look at is hub stats, here is a way to track down what might be causing slowdowns. Lewis has a good post about how to do this.

1 Like

Thanks. I'll have to read that.

Also, I had to rig up a couple of virtual 3 way switches because of lack of neutral (sacrificed traveler for use as neutral). Using hub was very slow and varying. There's still a little lag, but as @JasonJoel said, it's likely because the switch is acting as a scene button, or something like that, and it has to wait for more finger action on the switch.

Also, I just (safely) shut down my hub. The associated devices still work! That is, what I have so far, the two virtual 3 ways in the basement and the 2 exterior motion w/associated exterior lights. I think that's cool.

1 Like

It is indeed possible. I just did it.

I used @jtp10181 's beta port of the z-wave tweaker driver, (beta or not, it seems to work just fine for me), to associate the contact switch to another switch and also to change parameter 1 on the Ecolink contact sensor from 0 to 255 to allow the switch to be turned off on contact restoral. Associated group is #2.

I just did it with a kitchen light upstairs, just to test. I'm going to do my basement lights now, 3 circuit switches plus two virtual 3-way switches. Anything to help speed and reliability is a plus, in my view.

Here's @jtp10181 's tool:

Hubitat/Drivers/zwave-tweaker at beta · jtp10181/Hubitat · GitHub

Well, turns out the Ecolink can only do 3 associations, so I did that with the 3 three 'real' light circuits in the basement. The two virtuals remain mutually associated with their three-way 'real' switches. Paused the rule I had for turning on the lights when the door opened-and it worked. Fast and reliable, hopefully.

It's been working great, but I'm revisiting this just to see what I did, lol.
Here is the sensor manual:

As I said, it seems that only 3 associations are available.

Interesting that it didn't seem to like 255 as a value for parameter 1 and changed the value to -1. Hey, it works.