Ecolink Motion Sensor stopped communicating after updating to 2.1.5

3 of my ecolink motion sensors and 4 iris repeaters have suddenly stopped responding. Any ideas? Excluding and including again doesn’t help nor did restarting the hub.

I don't know if this will help in this situation, but @waynespringer79 recently posted that for similar (but more widespread) z-wave issue, rebooting didn't work. However, doing a full shutdown, followed by disconnecting power, waiting for 30 seconds, and re-powering fixed the issue.

I am tagging @waynespringer79 so that he can correct any mistakes in what I've written above.

1 Like

I did try a shutdown but didn’t wIt 30 seconds Will try that

I have had the same issues for the past week with many Ecolink motion sensors that have worked flawless for a long time. I have done all of the above many times and repaired Zwave, but still have 4 -5 that no longer respond. Help appreciated.

It was recommended I remove iris repeaters. Waiting on new repeaters to see if that fixes it.

I don't have any Iris repeaters, but do have a Ring repeater.. will see if that helps.

I'm having the same problem. My Z-Wave motion sensors are no longer being recognized in Hubitat, while my Zigbee ones are. My other Z-Wave devices appear to be working fine.

I enabled debug logging on one of my Z-wave motion sensors, and confirmed that Hubitat was receiving transmissions from the motion sensor, so I suspect something in the current firmware isn't parsing the command correctly. Here's a snippet of a motion active/inactive cycle from the debug log:

2019-09-28 11:27:46.169 pm [debug] parsed 'zw device: 0B, command: 3003, payload: 00 , isMulticast: false' to

2019-09-28 11:27:46.162 pm [debug] SensorBinaryReport(sensorValue:0)

2019-09-28 11:21:40.778 pm [debug] parsed 'zw device: 0B, command: 3003, payload: FF , isMulticast: false' to

2019-09-28 11:21:40.769 pm [debug] SensorBinaryReport(sensorValue:255)

I think especially disconnecting the hub from it's power source for 30 sec was important. So just rebooting it didn't work.

I removed the Ring Alarm Zwave repeater and Ring Integration App. I shutdown hub w/30 sec. unplug. No luck. Rebooted and repaired Zwave. No luck. I got a couple of Server Errors when accessing settings that now have disappeared. Not all sensors are broken just a few. Should I try to exclude/include the sensors to see if that works? It sure seems like a firmware issue.

Sorry for the troubles. We have identified an issue with previously paired EcoLink Motion sensors that were missing specific information. If your Ecolink motion sensor stopped working following the update to version 2.1.5, please remove the cover of the sensor and while the cover is off, immediately go to your hub's web interface and then "Devices". Click on the link to your Ecolink Motion Sensor, then click "Configure".

If this doesn't solve the problem, you may need to exclude and re-include the device. If the issue persists, please send us an email at support@hubitat.com along with your device model (the model can be found on the back of your sensor) and a screenshot of your Device Detail page (including Data table).

2 Likes

I tried the solution that BobbyD mentioned, and it did not work. However I did find a work-around.

I have the Ecolink PIR-ZWAVE2 with Pet Immunity Sensors. I've never had any problems until the recent hub update. The device type has always been Generic Z-Wave Motion Sensor.

Since nothing else could get them functioning again, I decided to take a different approach: I changed the device type to Generic Z-Wave Motion/Temperature Sensor. The sensors now report properly (other than temperature, since it doesn't support that anyway).

Others have reported that all of the Z-Wave Motion sensors stopped working. I did not have that issue. Only the Ecolink motion sensors stopped reporting activity. My GoControl and Enerwave Sensors which use the Generic driver are working properly, as well as the Aeon and Zooz which have their own drivers.

Please review the hotfix release notes, specifically the section regarding the Ecolink motion sensors.

1 Like