EcoLink Door Sensor zwave2.5-ECO

I am trying to add a EcoLink sensor. I added one with no issues about a week ago. I had no issues so I ordered more. I cant get the HE to discover the 2nd sensor. I have started the inclusion process over multiple times, tries a third sensor, and rested the hub. Any advice would be helpful.

Did you try to exclude first? I have 3 of these and they have been really fast.

I believe so. The sensors are new and not from another hub. The inclusion and exclusion process is the same as far as I know. 1. remove cover 2. remove battery for 5 sec or more 3. replace battery(LED turns green solid) 4. replace cover 5. Click on dashboard "discover z-wave devices". then the looking for devices spins and never sees the sensor.

I got it to work. I clicked z-wave information to exclude. I did items 1-4 above. then I clicked on discover devices. I then opened the cover and the HE found the sensor. I replaced cover and added sensor to list. It seems like everything on the HE is either more difficult then it should be or not documented well.

You have to put the hub into inclusion mode before removing the battery tab (or put the batteries back in) so if you were starting inclusion after the device was already on that would explain why it wasn't working.

That being said, even new devices sometimes have to be excluded before you can include them.

Thanks for the help. Everything looks like it is working.

By the way, the batteries in these sensors work forever - except...
If the batteries are on a window that gets cold, the batteries go into a slow motion death spiral - the only antidote is to position the device so that it's kept as warm as possible.

I'm in New England and I've had one outside on a shed door since November and it's currently at 99%. The battery will probably die faster than the ones inside, but the cold doesn't appear to be effecting it too much, at least not yet...

Lost a couple hours of my life to this sensor today before I started pouring over the forums for help. No matter how many seconds I left the battery out, depressed the little black micro switch, tried with cover on/off and even make my own little factory battery tab,.. I could not get this thing to show on the Add devices page. I've had it previously working with SmartThings for about a year so I knew it wasn't the sensor.

Finally after reading a few success stories and steps from @krlaframboise I just tried an exclude and noticed after going to look at "Show Past Logs" it wouldn't show excluded. Weird if you've excluded before. I kept trying though and eventually after keeping the battery out for 30 seconds, then clicking "ZWave Exclude" on the Radio options and quickly putting the battery back in I saw it slow blink for about 5 times... this is CRUCIAL. As soon as I saw it slow blink I went to the "Show Past Logs" and saw this:

hub:#####-03-09 08:28:33.462 pm info Unknown Z-Wave device excluded.

Bingo! I hadn't even had a chance to put the cover back on yet. I went to the Add device screen and it popped up! I repeated this method a few times, and I'm honestly not sure if the cover does make a difference because twice it didn't do the slow blinks until I put the cover on. I guess it's not an exact science. Persistence is the key here but I'll outline my steps in the hopes it helps someone else:

1. Reboot your hub and wait for it to come back up.
  2. Take the cover off theEcolink sensor, get close to the hub, pull the battery out and leave it out. You don't need the magnet part.
  3. Go to your main HE hub page and then "Access Hub Settings" then "Z-wave Details"
  4. Put the hub in exclude mode by clicking the "Z-Wave Exclude" button at the top.
  5. Put the battery back in and see if the light starts slow blinking for about 5 seconds. If it does, Success! If you go to Logs and "Show Past Logs" you should see a generic exclude line.
  6. Go to the Add Devices page and let it search, it should find it as a Generic Z-Wave Contact Sensor!

Troubleshooting - This is NOT an exact science with this sensor. It's a pain. If the light stays solid for 5 seconds and goes out or doesn't start slow blinking for five seconds after you put the battery back in, go back to step one and when you get to step 5 put the battery in and immediately this time put the cover back on so it depresses the micro switch, Hopefully it will start slow blinking. I also had one attempt where it started the slow blink and I had to take the battery out for 10 seconds and put it back it to get it to show up.

Hope this helps someone else out! Liking the local execution so far.

Edited - Accidentally called it a switch, it's a sensor! Specifically the ZWAVE2.5-ECO.

5 Likes

My Ecolink devices are set up as "generic zwave contact sensor" not as a switch.
That's the way it paired.
To make sure we are talking about the same type of device:
Data * deviceType: 4

• inClusters: 0x5E,0x86,0x72,0x73,0x80,0x71,0x85,0x59,0x84,0x30,0x70
  • outClusters: 0x20
  • deviceId: 2
  • MSR: 014A-0004-0002
  • manufacturer: 330

You're absolutely right, in my elation to get this working I called it a switch instead of a sensor. I edited the post to reflect the proper terminology. Thanks!

Here is my DATA:

• deviceType: 4
  • inClusters: 0x5E,0x86,0x72,0x73,0x80,0x71,0x85,0x59,0x84,0x30,0x70
  • outClusters: 0x20
  • deviceId: 2
  • MSR: 014A-0004-0002
  • manufacturer: 330

These contact sensors have always been a nightmare to get excluded and paired with any hub I've had. That's Z-Wave's biggest issue, I think.

Glad you got it working!

The documentation for this sensor:

Specific instructions for include/exclude:

These exact same steps work for the motion sensor as well (in case anyone is looking). There is one additional step: After excluding, remove the battery again for 5 seconds and then reseat the battery to put it into pairing mode.

So I got one of these things thinking because it had an external wired contact that I could monitor two doors in parallel. However after setting it up and getting it working it seems like if you have the wired connectors closed then it will ignore the on board sensors. I guess they are not independent.

Correct

WADWAZ-1 is supposed to support that function.
Don't have any to confirm or deny though.

It does indeed monitor the two separate contacts IF the device is reporting them properly. Technically, you could monitor many things if you run the sensors in series (still would only trigger one of the contacts).

For example, I have an enclosed network cabinet in my basement. A WADWAZ is positioned to trigger the internal contacts if the front door is open/closed. But I put a series of 3 sensors connected to the side and back panels as well. So if any one of those is opened it triggers the external contact.