EcoBee Question

Interesting. Seems like something is amiss there. I noticed that your thermostatOperatingState was auto in your original post's screenshot which isn't an expected value. Is this an official built-in driver or a community driver?

The Show Heat/Cool Color tile setting should only turn the tile red if the thermostatOperatingState attribute is heating (and it turns blue if it's cooling). So if the HVAC was idle or just using the fan or any other state, then it should just turn the default gray.

The expected states for the thermostatOperatingState are:

- cooling
 - fan only
 - heating
 - idle
 - pending cool
 - pending heat
 - vent economizer

Let me clarify.

When set EcoBee to auto and tile to double high everything works correctly and displays the values I want to see.

When set to auto and single high, it shows that avg number for set point, not what I want.

If I change the EcoBee mode to heating only instead of auto. Then the set point displays properly on the single high. However, it always shows heating. I assume because you are looking at 'thermosatOperatingState' where EcoBee is using 'thermostat: right Now :' so in the screen shot below the furnace is "idle" and not heating but the tile shows the heating color.

EDIT: So setting it at Auto and going double high works for me.

1 Like

I think we are on the same page. The thermostatOperatingState should be idle if the thermostat is actually idle though. The only time the thermostatOperatingState should show heating is when the furnace is actively heating the home.

If the thermostatOperatingState always shows heating when the mode is set to heat, then it sounds like a bug in the device driver.

Edit: Is it a built-in driver or a community driver? I'd like to make a feature request to get the thermostatOperatingState to reflect the appropriate value. :slight_smile:

I'm using the built-in Ecobere driver(s), and my thermostatOperatingState shows as "auto" when not running.

It's the built in driver, I did not add any driver code for EcoBee.

I use WATO to pull Thermostat Operating State out of my ecobee so that I can turn on Ceiling fans when my AC is running. Works really well.

3 Likes

@ryan780 are you specifically using it with the thermostatOperatingState attribute from the Ecobee? Based on what Drew and Jason mentioned, it doesn't sound like the device is reporting the values I would have expected for the thermostatOperatingState.

The expected values for the thermostatOperatingState are:

- cooling
 - fan only
 - heating
 - idle
 - pending cool
 - pending heat
 - vent economizer

What has been noted so far is:

Mode Actual State Reported State Expected State
Auto Idle :x: Auto Idle
Auto Heating :white_check_mark: Heating Heating
Heat Idle :x: Heating Idle
Heat Heating :white_check_mark: Heating Heating

Based on the screenshot in the original post, it looks like the generic/descriptive thermostat attribute contains the text 'Idle' in it, so we at least know that the thermostat device itself is reporting the idle state... just that the thermostatOperatingState isn't being updated to expected values.

@mike.maxwell any thoughts on updating the Ecobee driver (and potentially other thermostats) to report expected thermostatOperatingState values?

I should have mentioned... I'm also using the ported version of Ecobee Suite. The native implementation doesn't report back operating state correctly.

2 Likes

@Ryan780 Eh... The built in driver reports heating when heating, and cooling when cooling in thermostatOperatingState... So it reports operating state at least semi-right... It shows Auto when idle, which isn't right, but that hasn't affected much on my end.

If the Ecobee Suite port reports it faster or better, though - I'm not adverse to using it. I used it on ST...

Only if you have mode = Auto. If mode is Heating, it always reports heating even when Idle.

It does not always report heating when heating and cooling when cooling no matter what mode you are in. It reports the correct state when you change the temp manually but not when it "recovers" to an already set temp.
At least thats the way it worked with the native integration 2 months ago.

Oh!! Yeah, that's not good. I didn't know that, as mine is almost always in auto.

That plus ryan's comment paints a different picture. Maybe I should try the Ecobee Suite port.

I have 4 thermostats and 9 sensors though. Not sure how easy that is to implement.

Both of my ecobees are set to prompt for how long I'd like a manual set point change to last:

Does SharpTools support this? We keep our sleep temps at 64 degrees. I used the SharpTools dashboard to bump up the heat to 69 degrees late yesterday afternoon. It put the temp change on permanent hold and I woke in the middle of the night sweating my ass off :sweat_smile:

if you change the setting On the EcoBee or in the device driver to Temporary Hold it will always revert to the next scheduled change, above that would be Sleep.

2 Likes

Driver temporary hold will do it. Thanks!

I switched over my 4 thermostats and 9 sensors to the Ecobee Suite this morning. Was fairly easy since I used ir on ST in the past.

One thing that don't work is building sensors for thermostat readings. It is in the options, but does nothing. Everything else seems to work well though.

1 Like

If you use Ecobee suite, that is configurable and will use whatever setting is set within the Ecobee Connect App.

I am using it, and that option doesn't seem to do anything as I don't have separate sensors for the thermostat temp like I did in ST. Also tried toggling it on/off.

No big deal, was just mentioning it.

I'm not sure I understand the question. We seem to be talking about different things. Which option are you selecting inside the app?

On my install, this does nothing:
Ecobee Suite Manager --> Ecobee Suite Preferences --> Include Thermostats as a separate Ecobee sensor

In ST, that option created a new sensor type device specifically for each Thermostat temperature reading. That way you could handle all temperatures. thermostat and sensor, the same in logic/code.

Again, not that big of a deal, but I mentioned it since the options shows up yet doesn't work.