Ecobee Integration

Well then, maybe that’s something that Ecobee changed on them between 2.0.4 and now.

Something to look at

Ok, I have/had the same question a lot of folks have had. Is there a way to set the Ecobee "Comfort Setting" aka Home, Away, Sleep and it appears the answer is no. Well, we can "away" and "resume" but not set a specific setting.

In my case, I have 4 "modes", Home, Away, Sleep, and Guests. Guests is used for Sleep mode when we have guests we use additional temp sensor in our guest bedroom (which we otherwise ignore).

I found it interesting, the Alexa Ecobee Plus "skill" does have the abliity to change the mode to Sleep (where everyone says can only be done by the schedule). If this is true, it should be possible to set any mode we want, right? See: What Alexa voice commands can I use with my ecobee devices? – ecobee Support

Ecobee is cloud based anyway unless you're controlling it with HomeKit. Why not just trigger a virtual switch in HE, set that virtual switch in IFTTT as your trigger and set the comfort profile on the Ecobee IFTTT service.

1 Like

Sounds perfect - can you piece it together for me? I'm not currently using any IFTTT (though I do have an account and it IS linked with Ecobee and HE).

I found the Set thrermostat... you show there, but is that a "works with button controller"? I'm trying to figure out how to set the trigger and not sure.

Have you created any virtual switches on HE?

1. Add Device Virtual Device
  2. Give it an ID (anything you want, but might want to keep it in order). I use 001A, 001B, etc.
  3. Give it a Device name. Everybody does this different for organization. I use Hubitat Virtual Switch for the device name and then call it what I'm using for in the device label field.
  4. Set the device type to Virtual Switch
  5. Click Save Device
  6. Set enable Auto Off to 1 second
  7. Click Save Preferences

Now add the IFTTT Integration app

Add your virtual switch to the HE IFTTT integration app and you should be able to follow the doc example for the rest.

2 Likes

You can set Ecobee Home, Away, Sleep, etc. by using the Ecobee Suite Manager and setting up Custom Commands in RM. I have it setup like this currently. Setup a custom command using SetThermostatProgram.

1 Like

Just in case it's useful to others. I could not reauthenticate even after I removed the App from Ecobee site. Then I removed ecobee cookies from my browser and that fixed it.

2 Likes

I am running the Ecobee integration with a few remote sensors. Prior to installing the Ecobee, I used some motion/temp sensors and passed the settings through to virtual thermostats. Can I also pass the remote sensors into hubitat so that they can be used to trigger my virtual thermostats?

On another note, I am interested in hubitat knowing my local weather and settings both the ecobee and virtual thermostats to cool or heat based on the outside temperature. I use the virtual thermostats to control my smart vents.

Did you ever get a chance to look into this? I have an Ecobee 4, which does detect motion. Ecobee seems to do a pretty good job of recognizing whether a room is occupied or not, better than I have achieved so far with standalone zigbee motion sensors anyway. I would love to be able to use the thermostat's motion sensor to trigger things, and even to include it in a motion zone so for just that little edge detecting occupancy.

@storageanarchy's Ecobee Suite exposes the ecobee sensors as individual devices to Hubitat whose states include temperature and motion.

Would be nice for the native app to do this too.

+1
I would also like to see the Hubitat version also include the motion and temperature from the main thermostat. I would think the vast majority of user have the version with motion verses the other way around.

I used the Ecobee Suite for a little while as well but I dont care for all the extra pieces you have to install just to use it.

Two things I just found.

1. If I enable MFA with Ecobee i cannot get through the login process - it never prompts for MFA code. Had to turn off MFA and log in with creds only to get reconnected.

2. Even with MFA disabled, cannot get through the login process using Microsoft Edge (new one) on macOS. It gets through the login in the popup window but never presents the "authorize" page.

Did you try going to ecobee.com on a computer and try adding an app there as shown in the attached screenshot...

Ecobee adds itself with un/pw. Add Application from that screen requires a 4 digit code that Hubitat doesn't provide. But yes, Hubitat IS listed in My Apps. Problem is, if I enable MFA on Ecobee Hubitat loses ability to connect.

I'm trying to add it for the first time. I've disabled 2FA on the Ecobee end but it still won't add the application within Hubitat. Oddly enough, it does add the app to the Ecobee side.

I could not get it to go through using Edge (aka Chrome/chromium) but got it to work using Firefox. Try different browsers?

I added a new sensor to ecobee, how do I get it to show up under Hubitat? I waited 5 minutes for the polling but still not in the drop down box.

You will have to de-authorize and re-authorize the Hubitat link to Ecobee. That's done from their web page.

1 Like

Just removed the ecobee integration and re added, still only showing 2 sensors