Ecobee Integration

+1 on being able to adjust from a single tile. ActionTiles approach would work great in my opinion.

Any updates on this? Any effort being put forth to make the native Ecobee interface allow the changing to thermostat modes? Like others, I only need to set away mode, and resume schedule.

2 Likes

Resume is available now. I setup a Custom Command in RM to make it available to my rules. I set the Heating Set Point and Cooling Set Point due to the programMode not being available to mimic my AWAY and NIGHT (SLEEP) modes then I use Resume to go back to HOME mode. Not as elegant as setting the programMode directly, but I have found it effective. One thing I have not been able to overcome without setting up way too many RM rules is that I have two thermostats and I have their AWAY and NIGHT (SLEEP) set points set up differently. If programMode was available I could set those in each thermostat separately, then just change to programMode I want once for both thermostats.

4 Likes

Just curious. Do you have Sonos?

No.
I have some Fabriq Riffs, but they are not currently apart of the HE system, due to the problems I've been having.

I see. Just wondered if something like that might be causing issues on the network. I visited a client today where I had installed a 6 node Linksys Velop system. Recently they added a Sonos speaker and their company tech that supports their IP phone system said they were experiencing severe packet loss that was affecting their phone call quality. He disconnected the node that just happened to be closest to the Sonos, and said their issues stopped. The node they disconnected happened to also be the master.

i researched the issue and found several people reporting issues with Sonos WIFI interfering with not just Linksys Velop, but also Orbi WiFi. So I tested their system with and without the Sonos plugged in and sure enough it was causing the issue. I reconfigured it to use ethernet and disabled its WiFi and the issue seems to be resolved.

I think you said you had Orbi and so I just wondered if you might have a device on your network that you hadn't considered, which might be causing unexpected issues.

This is the wrong thread for this discussion, but since my other thread was closed...

I wiresharked the network and didn't see anything unusual after I removed the DLNAPlayer driver. I don't have a managed port I can sniff, at home (the Orbi is a consumer device). And I know wireshark doesn't see everything from it's vantage, so it's still possible, but I'm dubious.

Once DLNA PLayer was eliminated, I continued to have problems. However, I can report that I've been running without a crash for 2 days and nights now. After the first night I didn't crash, I noticed the DB had gone from 31mb to 6.5mb and a device I was having trouble keeping in the HE zwave tables was back and stable.

I can't say what's the solution, or if it will or will not return. But it seems to be indicative that the db shrank so dramatically. The staff says it was nothing they did, joking that the hub will be on it's best behavior because they were watching so closely. :slight_smile:

Still no explanation why the dB size when down so much?

Nope

I’m curious. At any time, did you install the Sonos Connect app? I ask this because the only time I’ve ever seen any sluggish behavior with my hub was after installing MediaRenderer/DNLA player. Something in that app kickstarted Sonos discovery. I had played around months ago with the Sonos app and deleted it, but discovering DNLA players with Mediarenderer brought it back, so to speak. I was only able to see the Sonos ssdp discovery events in the hub events. They were continuous for days, until I rolled back to a saved backup from before Sonos integration and then updated to current firmware version.

Probably not the cause of your problems, but thought I’d throw it out there.

Any app that initiates a ssdp discovery will cause all your ssdp enabled devices to report back and be listed in hub events. It doesn't matter if you have the sonos integration or the harmony integration etc. If your device supports ssdp it will respond to a discovery request.

I have quite a few devices that support this and also have a couple of apps that periodically run the discovery causing my hub events list to grow quickly. Has not been an issue since that last update that purges the hub event list daily so it doesn't grow out of control.

1 Like

Please forgive my ignorance, I’m trying to learn as much as possible. Are you saying that the Sonos app sending a discovery request every 5 secs (I don’t have a Sonos) plus MediaRenderer sending it’s regular requests (I do have a DNLA device) would not cause any issues? If so, that’s great!
Thanks

I think any app sending a discovery request every 5 seconds would be a problem.

I'm saying all your ssdp devices should respond to a discovery request from any app. If you have an app that aggressively runs discovery (5 seconds is insane) it will fill your hub events log quickly.

1 Like

Thank you. And apologies for derailing this thread.

I've seen several apps, including our original port of the Hue integration that issue ssdp discovery requests at regular intervals, this is not required. Ssdp discovery should only be running while the discovery page is open. Additionally, the location subscription to these events should be removed after discovery is complete.

Hi, all. I have installed the EcoBee apps, but struggling to make it work. Can anyone point me to a step-by-step for setting it up from scratch? There doesn't seem to be anything, anywhere, even with a Google search, that helps with that. Maybe I'm just missing it, or I'm over-complicating things somehow. Thanks.

1 Like

Would like to echo the requests for Ecobee setAway and Resume commands to be available to RM so that we can automate it (more elegantly).

Does anyone have a current rule or automation they can share in the meantime?

1 Like

This can already be done via custom commands.

1 Like

The Ecobee Integration documentation is available now.

Custom Commands! Awesome, who knew!...(everyone except me obviously :crazy_face:)