Ecobee - Anyone actually using it?

Yes - that is in fact a mistake on the part of the Hubitat driver, IMHO.

I mean, it's not like they have to try to deduce that the fan is running or not...because the Ecobee API does in fact return equipmentStatus with one or more of the following values:

heatPump, heatPump2, heatPump3, compCool1, compCool2, auxHeat1, auxHeat2, auxHeat3, fan, humidifier, dehumidifier, ventilator, economizer, compHotWater, auxHotWater

Furthermore, it really has nothing to do with thermostatMode or thermostatFanMode. -- if the equipmentStatus is "fan" and nothing else, then the Hubitat Ecobee driver should set thermostatOperatingState to "fan only".

And yes, the API says the fan is running even if the thermostatMode is "off"...or when it is doing its internally-controlled "circulation" - there's no excuse for not reporting "fan only".

I am truly surprised that it doesn't...even SmartThings got that part right :wink:

Hello,

does anyone know if there is new ecobee available for EU, if not can anyone recommend some good smart thermostat?

I am new to HE and using Ecobee and I am wonder why "Fan Only" status is not being reported using the hubitat default drive?

Since you have done this, it is doable. I am confuse as to why the built-in drivers does everything else with ecobee tstat but not fan only? Is it not just another API call, or some extra parsing of the values returned?

I hope someone at Hubitat is reading this question. If it is too complicated and not worth the time/effort I will understand and be willing to pay for it.

I am not asking for a scheduler, enhanced functionality, just 1 other value/status from the device Hubitat supports with a built-in driver.

I am pretty sure I would not be the only one here who would benefit from having this.

@swade

You don't have to pay to get all the features of your Ecobee - my Ecobee Suite is free: [RELEASE] Universal Ecobee Suite, Version 1.8.01

It provides access to ALL Ecobee attributes, and comes with a variety of Helper apps that you can use with your Ecobee as well.

As to "why" the native driver doesn't support Fan Only, nobody really knows. Send an email to Hubitat Support with the question, and you may get an answer...

1 Like

@bravenel, @bobbyD, Can you answer this question as to why the built-in ecoBee driver does not support Fan Only when the custom user drivers do? ecoBee systems use the Fan Only feature to improve overall home effeciency and not having it to control vents is a much needed status. Thanks for you help.

How is this different from executing the build in drivers fanOn command?

I can set the system to fan only, but when the ecobee sets itself to fan only the driver is not getting the state change. I think it maybe in the thermostatOperatingState setting.

Hopefully @yracine66 or @storageanarchy maybe kind enough to shed more accurate help on this. Please!

I've been using @storageanarchy's driver for a long time, and I can tell you it works great.

But... it is a polling driver, so when the Ecobee changes itself, the driver doesn't update in real time. Check your polling interval.

1 Like