Dual Motion Sensors

I have 2 motion sensors set up for my basement stairs and one points towards the door at the top of the stairs which turns it on when you open the door and the second is at the bottom pointed down the hall leading to the stairs for when you are down in the basement and want to come up and the 5 minute timer has expired which shut the lights off.

I want to have the lights stay on if I have google turn them on and not start a timer when motion is detected.

I used the motion lighting app which works great until you turn on the option do not turn off if already on. The problem is that when motion sensor 1 detects the motion and I go down the stairs then motion sensor 2 detects motion and cancels the 5 minute timer and then the lights wont turn off.

Is there a work around for this or can it only be done by using 1 sensor?

You can use Zone Motion to connect the two motion sensors into one virtual motion sensor and use that virtual motion sensor in your motion lighting rule.

1 Like

Thanks that fixed my problem :slight_smile:

1 Like

Woohoo! Don't we love it when things work. :smiley:

I just timed it and the timer isnt working correctly. I have the zone motion timer set to 5 seconds and I have the motion lighting setting to 1 minute now and when I time it after I walk up the stairs and close the door it takes 3 minutes to turn the lights off. I did use the motion aggregation setting when I set it up out of the 3 setting which I figured was the correct setting

You have to factor in the time it takes each motion sensor to go inactive also.

I started the timer as soon as I closed the upstairs door so that way it wouldnt detect any motion

Yes. So, first each motion sensor has to go inactive (timeout 1). Then the aggregate motion sensors timeout begins (timeout 2), then the timeout for your app begins (timeout 3). So, there are 3 different timers you have to add up. Not 2

Ahh ok I thought there was only 2. So if I change it to a 1 mintue timer with 5 seconds for the aggregate then it should shut off in 2 minutes I am guessing

What kind of motion sensors do you have? If those are currently set to 2 mins, then you should reduce those. But yes, if the individual motion sensors are 2 minutes then the total here would be 2:10.

I am using the ecolink ones and thanks for your help :slight_smile:

1 Like