[DRIVER] Zooz Smart Plugs Advanced (ZEN04, ZEN05, ZEN14, ZEN15, ZEN20, ZEN25)

I'm making a dashboard with outlet warnings, but it's also pretty succinct in the RM editor for the notifier rule I'm trying to make. I changed to increase rather than changed figuring that makes more sense. I haven't gotten my first notification yet, so we'll see.

(Test Zen04 is the former Water Softener, lol.

You get the prize. Problem solved. Thanks!

You had asked me previously about using the energy duration in calculations. At the time, I hadn't looked at it but I played around and came up with this for converting the energy duration from '##.## Days' to a number, ##.## that can be used in a calculation.

More settings detail.
https://community.hubitat.com/t/extracting-a-token-from-a-string-variable/23765

Thanks! Here's my phone sized top page.

1 Like

Is that just to get average usage per day?

It takes one steps to isolate the number part of the string and get rid of the ' Days' part. A second step to go from a string to a decimal. Other than that, it's standard variable setting and variable math. Short answer: yes.

Maybe I can add that to the energy app I'm developing.

Sure, opens up cost per day calculations for you, right? How are you calculating the costs now as cost per KwH?

I'm way past that. I more meant that I maybe I can add it as a feature later on. Something like a separate table to show average usage by day/week/month.

Cost per KWH but it's device agnostic. I'm working on the next update now that will allow for rate scheduling for folks on time of use schedules.

1 Like

Picked up another spurious reading on a Zen04 this evening 3718 volts.
The notifications I set up seem to work; I put in all the variables available just to see what would happen.
Oh, the Zen04 affected was the one formerly powering the water softener. Now it's plugged into a power strip upstairs, powering only the little unconnected wall wart pictured above that was supplied by Zooz (the smartest house).

@MajorEvent hate to break it to you but the new version I released makes all your conversion unnecessary. The energyDuration attribute is now a number and includes just the decimal value, no strings. The old State Variable down below still gets updated as well and shows the full string.

That certainly makes it easier for us to work with that value and was the right way to go. As you can see from my example, the RM conversion, while possible, is a bit tedious.

Maybe I should have put this in its own thread...sorry if so.

I have one plug that measures a constantly varying power output of greater than 50watts. I don't know why, but there's a TV, Roku, a laptop and my wife involved. Alas, the Zen04's max reporting differential is 50 watts. It leads to a lot of reports-I don't want to overtax the mesh. Any way to attenuate this somehow?

I can hide the events to make you feel better but it wont change the fact the device is sending them. I have no idea why they topped out the threshold at 50w, seems silly. I tried setting it outside of the range in the docs and it wont take it.

No, don't do that.
I'm not sure why the consumption goes up and down like that, but maybe charging batteries like that, or something.

Maybe disconnect your wife from the power strip? Probably not good for her.

Let me run something by you:
If I set the limits to the max for all of my 16 ZEN04's, other than the one above, reports will be coming in slowly.
I've figured out how to do a refresh by a time period using RM.
I'm trying every minute.
What do you think?

If you need the data points every minute go for it. It is a lot of commands, all at once, especially if you call it on multiple devices. So it could cause some lag in the mesh. Polling the devices is more traffic than just letting the reports roll in because you have to send a request for each meter report out to the device, then get the reply.

1 Like

I was having the exact same problem with the NewOne 4003 (also 50 Watt max. reporting delta). I had a TV, stereo and other AV equipment connected. Only solution I found was to replace it with the Monoprice 27481 plug which DOES have the range of settings. Once I set it to 100 Watts the reports dropped from 10-11 /min to 2-3 /min.

1 Like

Good info, thanks.

No matter what I tried I was getting the excessive reports (flagged by the hub) with the 50 Watt delta. The time settings seems to only apply if there's no report for that amount of time. It's not limiting. IOW, no matter what the time setting, the reports continued every 50 Watt change,