Driver initialize question

Question.... I am trying to figure out why a driver is not initializing after a reboot as expected.

So I stuck some debug logging as well as a scheduled runIn in there. After a reboot I don't see either happen, and I can't figure out why.

Here is what is in the driver right now. I get ZERO logs after a reboot, and the scheduled task is never scheduled - making me thing initialize isn't actually running for some reason after a reboot???

def initialize() {

log.debug "----- IN INITIALIZE -----"
    pauseExecution(1000)
	runInMillis(5000, heartbeat)	
}

def updated() {
	log.debug "----- IN UPDATED -----"
}

what is in the device capabilities list?

1 Like

Didn't think about that affecting it! But maybe that's it - only thing in there is:
capability "Notification"

I'll add actuator or something and see if it wakes up.

if you want initialize to run, Initialize needs to be added as a capability

2 Likes

sigh

I get the dunce cap for the day. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Thanks @mike.maxwell and @bcopeland

4 Likes

won't be much consolation but I stumbled upon the need for capability initialize only a week or so ago... so I barely beat you at removing my dunce cap. :slight_smile:

I've had this set of hints in my "Templates" for years...

/**
mike.maxwell (Leader)
May 25, 2018

installed() - runs when driver is installed, via pair or virtual
configure() - runs when driver is installed, after installed is run. if capability Configuration exists, a Configure command is added to the ui
initialize() - runs first time driver loads, ie system startup when capability Initialize exists, a Initialize command is added to the ui.
updated() - runs when save is clicked in the preferences section

Initialized() is not a capability or built in driver command, it's a local method only, I've never understood it either, i guess it saves a few lines of duplicate calls...
**/

One must read EVERY word Mike writes :smiley:

4 Likes

Yeah... I knew better on that one. Have done that same mistake before - but it has been a year or so.... So I forgot. :slight_smile:

Thank goodness I don't have to rely on my shitte coding skills for a paycheck.

1 Like

Do you happen to have a "driver" which initializes a driver so that I can start fresh on a device?

You can usually do that by changing the device type to "Device" and then clicking on each delete command button, then set it back to whichever driver you need.

Download the Hubitat app