Driver for Gas Sensor

What are you expecting to see?

Something about the gas would be nice since it is not a smoke detector. I mean this in a nice way.

Ahh the problem is Hubitat does not have Gas as a capabilities. I don't see the need to have it be gas detector as long as the sensor trips and report the event. You can program RM to say what ever you want.

Have you or anyone verified that it does trip with natural gas? Or propane? Although that would be very dangerous. I guess it is one of those things we take on faith.

I am waiting for @ritchierich to do the test. He has a way to do it with propane safely outdoor. I hope he brings good news soon.

@bravenel Is there a way to add a gas capability to HE for this gas detector and others? Thanks

That's the reason to have Mike Maxwell involved. He mentioned he thought he could start looking at it in a couple of weeks.

I noted that when I pair my Xiaomi sensor with the Aqara Hub HomeKit edition, it shows up in HomeKit as Leak Sensor, which really makes a lot of sense, because that's what we're trying to detect.

@cuboy29 's driver works for me! Echo the sentiment that it would be nice to have a gas detector included in HSM (@bravenel )

Sorry been slammed with work. I can test my sensor that I received the other day as I have a natural gas grill outside on my patio. I will give it a try tomorrow and let everyone know the results.

Good news @cuboy29 your driver works! I put the sensor inside the grill and closed the lid and then turn on the natural gas. A few seconds later the sensor starts beeping and reports gas detected:

It seems to continue to report gas detection until it clears as seen above. I bought 3 of these and will be putting 2 in my crawl space and one under my kitchen gas stove.

1 Like

I tested mine with a lighter, even though it says not to. It worked. Although I think the reason they say not to is you're flooding the inside with gas. I couldn't make it stop beeping right away, so I guess whatever sensor is in there needed a little extra time to clear out.

Just a warning that you may permanently damage the sensor using these testing methods.

To keep cost low, the sensors use a Catalytic Bead Methane Sensor. Direct exposure to the gas can result in catalyst poisoning.

The manufacturers warn about direct contact with the gas for this very reason.

From my Xiaomi Mijia Gas Detector manual:

11%20PM

I hear you but how do I know this thing will work without testing it with real gas :thinking:

Just a warning that direct exposure to very high saturation levels could be damaging, and then you're at risk of a false sense of security. I think in the closed BBQ is a dangerous way to test because it's a 110v appliance in a semi-sealed chamber. I hear of lots of BBQ explosions every year, so there's that. It's perhaps less likely to cause damage, but directly exposing the sensor to gas like @kilowatts did is more precisely what they are warning against.

These things should be able to detect gas at the suggested range, and with a limited amount of exposure. My Xiaomi Mijia Gas Sensor detected gas from the stove top in 15 seconds at 0.3 meters (11.81 inches) away.

Well.... Shoot.

I received the gas sensor. Let me know if you need to borrow it for driver development and test.

1 Like

Just an interesting observation with the "HEIMAN" Gas sensor. The only spot I had for the gas sensor that was up off the floor, was in the kitchen and plugged into an Ikea outlet. I don't have many Zigbee devices, perhaps a half dozen sensors, half a dozen button devices and a few switches. Most of these sensors and switches are in outbuildings. Prior to the gas sensor almost everything routed through an outdoor switch just outside the kitchen with a couple of devices choosing the Ikea outlet that the gas sensor was now plugged into. With the gas sensor, almost everything routes through the gas sensor. So it appears the gas sensor is a decent repeater.

@mike.maxwell is it time to ping you?

Any progress on this? @mike.maxwell - I have a new one of these in a box on my desk - let me know if you need it for development work.
Thanks!

1 Like