Downstairs lights switching off every day at 8 pm - how to figure out what's triggering it?

Hi,

Have a bug in one of my rules that I can't figure out. Every day at 8 pm, all of my lights downstairs shut off. I know I've done something wrong, but can't figure out what's triggering it. Log attached.

At 8pm I do have mode change to from Day to Evening. This doesn't do anything else on it's own (or least it's not supposed to) -- other rules just check the mode to set lighting levels etc. Also, this doesn't happen when I change mode manually. It's possibly related, but I can't figure out how.

I've looked through every rule associated with the affected devices and can't see any issues.

My questions: I must be missing something and the log isn't telling me much (attached)... is there a way to see all rules/apps that are associated with a time condition or trigger? Similarly, anyway to see all of the rules/apps associated with a mode change?

Or -- is there a better way to investigate it?

Thanks.

Do you have Alexa devices in your setup? If so, the first thing to do is disable the new-ish Alexa Hunches feature.

2 Likes

And the second thing to rule out is your wife playing around on you. My wife did this to me early on in my smart home journey. I was checking logs, disabling rules, couldnā€™t figure out what was triggering stuff until I finally heard her laughing uncontrollably from upstairs.

Seriously though.

I agree to disable Alexa hunches. I havenā€™t had this issue but I have read many have.

I assume you have all of these devices in a group. If you go to the device page of that group and go to the bottom of the page it list all the rules that are driving that group. At least itā€™s a pointer to all the rules you need to look into.

If you still canā€™t figure it out, turn on all the logging for those rules and wait until it happens again.

1 Like

If you don't have Hunches, I'd disassociate the mode change by moving it to 8:15.

Thanks. It didn't look like any hunches were set up, but I've disabled them altogether (as far as I can tell). Each of those devices are associated with Alexa (but so are dozens of others that aren't affected).

Based on her level of irritation every day, I'm confident in ruling out wife as a root cause.

Devices are in a couple of groups that are in the logs (and some of the devices -- though not all -- that are in those groups also show up in the logs). I'll start logging on the more likely suspect rules and see if anything turns up tomorrow.

Just had a thought...I also had a rule recently that kept causes an exception as I was editing it (no idea why). I ended up being able to delete it and re-do it, but I wonder if some of it's code is left active somewhere.

Thanks for the suggestions.

1 Like

Ha, good idea. I had just changed it to 8:05.

1 Like

You've checked the "in use by" section on the lights device page to see what automations/services are using it?

1 Like

Yes, and can't find anything obvious. In fact, most of the affected devices are only used by rules that don't do anything. Probably worth stepping through them again though...

Untitled

1 Like

Just to be sure.

I'm also thinking we also should get a private detective to put a tail on @steve.maddigan's wife... :wink:

1 Like

Do you have anything devices using motion as a trigger? Also I see the motion zone app in use. Do you have it disabled for evening mode?

2 Likes