Door/window sensor replacement recommendation

My hub powered down the other night and was offline for about 6 hours. After bringing it online, my Aqara door sensors have been giving me a fit. I have a Sonoff that I flashed to be a repeater about 6 to 8 months ago and the Aqara sensors have been pretty stable. But now I'm done. They are randomly only staying connected for 12 hours. On the day of the power down I factory reset and re-added each and every one. The next day, half were offline. Today, 4 of them are.

I LOVE the size but hate that they fall off. Any recommendations on a small form factor replacement? I'm ok with ZigBee if they are stable. But at the moment, I think I'd rather have z-wave.

I have had good luck with Ring Alarm contact sensors Gen 2 (700 series). They are Z-wave and have a small form factor. I have 6 of them and have not had any problems. The batteries last a long time. They were mentioned by @bcopeland some years ago in a post on his favorite devices.

You don't have to have a Ring hub...they join direct to Hubitat.

https://www.amazon.com/Ring-Alarm-Contact-Sensor-2pk/dp/B07ZB2RNTW/ref=sr_1_1?crid=16MX8SK8JNAQW&keywords=ring+alarm+contact+sensor&qid=1687624659&s=hi&sprefix=ring+ala%2Ctools%2C169&sr=1-1

Here is a link on how to join them to them to HE.....Support for Ring Alarm Contact Sensor V2? - #8 by bcopeland. May need to include them with S2 so will need a C-7 or C-8.

4 Likes

Thank you. I just purchased a six pack of these from your link. With the Ring Protect $10 discount, it made the sensors $15 each. I'm tempted to go all in and replace all my door/window sensors with these so I have a standard, but that's $300 for the 18 sensors I would need. Anyone know if the Ring Protect discount is always there or just this weekend?

2 Likes

I also really like the Ring Contact sensors as well as the Smart Things from Aeotec. They both work flawlessly.

I recently got some Tuya Zigbee sensors that have been working extremely well considering their low cost:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003706431053.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.63.6bdf1802heo4aU

3 Likes

I really like Visonic MCT-350. Can get 10 packs: LOT OF 10 DOOR WINDOW SENSOR 2.4 GHz XFINITY XHS2-UE COMCAST/ZIGBEE HOME SECURIT | eBay They are cheap, nicely built, work over 1" gap and also report temp. No brainer for $4 each.

1 Like

$4 each is cheap. No issues with them falling off the ZigBee network? Do you need a repeater to help keep them online?

They’ve been pretty good, considering the price. I haven’t had them drop off yet that I can recall.

1 Like

The oldest I've had installed has been since October, no issues so far. Very happy with them. I've installed 5 of them.

2 Likes

These are zigbee but they're fantastic (I have 36 of them). At $4.00 you can't beat the price. They also show battery level and temp. Batteries last a long time...

1 Like

What are the approximate dimensions of them. Really intrigued by them but I can really tell the size in the pictures

About 3/8th inch thick, 2" long, 1" wide

1 Like

@rlithgow1 - You must have read my mind. I was going to ask for a picture and then as I was typing the image appeared. Thank you. They are not as large as I originally thought. I think it's too difficult to not pass up at $4 each.

1 Like

I'll post a pic later of them mounted to my windows

1 Like

Thanks again. I just purchased a 2 pack of the lot of 10, making them $3.80 each. After tax though it's back to $4/each. Should be here by Sat and then I have a 4th of July weekend project.

Anyone want to buy my Aqara's off me? Dirt cheap. :smiley:

2 Likes

I tried those temp/humidity sensors, binned them. Then Sonoff, still had the issue. Moes have been pretty good.

1 Like

2 Likes