Door Chime

I'm looking for a device that will chime when a door is opened. I've read that some devices with this functionality have a problem with chimes executing more that once. I've read this is a problem with the Dome Siren and Aeotec Siren 5. Has this been fixed with the Aeotec Siren 6?

What about the Ring Chime? Can it be paired with Hubitat? Does it have the issue of multiple chimes? Looking at Amazon, I see the Ring Chime is WiFi. Will that work with Hubitat? If my WiFi loses it internet connection, will the Ring Chime still work? Is there another Ring Chime that is z-wave?

I have the Aeotec Doorbell 6, using RM you can choose from one of the sound effects.
It will be executed according to the repeat settings you made in the driver's preferences, never had multiple executions.

+1 for the Aeotec 6, it is excellent. I use it for something similar (motion detector near the front door) and as the siren for the HSM alarm.

2 Likes

Can you adjust the volume. Most are too loud. More like sirens.

The volume can be controlled individually for the chime and it's child devices.

OK, I could use that, I just have a strobe light for the one door. You have to remember to check it too. Not as good as a sound bugging you despite it being well placed.

Yes as per the other reply above, you can adjust the volume easily. The device also has a really good range of chimes/sounds (like Westminster chimes, buzzers, gongs, sirens, etc). These are fun to play with and use in your automations.

1 Like

Ouch! [$69.99] (https://smile.amazon.com/Aeotec-Doorbell-Outdoor-Wall-Mounted-Wireless/dp/B07PB2HN6D/ref=sr_1_3) I think I will wait on this a bit before doing it. The Sadotech only costs $25 (https://smile.amazon.com/STARPOINT-Expandable-Doorbell-Magnetic-System/dp/B075L9FVLS/ref=sr_1_2)
and is not that different except for Z-wave with door sensor included. I have this on one door and it works great. It just can only chime. Oh well. Almost three times as much. I can wait.

You say that the sadotech “is not that different except for z-wave.” But isn’t it a completely stand alone device with no integration with Hubitat? To me that is a LOT different.

1 Like

Except for a Z-Wave chip the hardware is identical. The point is the cost is the same, that are charging me $40 to add a $1 chip. The both broadcast and have multiple sounds a door sensor and a chime with 50+ sounds and volume control. The point is $60 for $20 of hardware is rip-off. It probably costs about $5 to actually manufacturer.

So does my $20 unit. It is not worth paying three times as much to add a $1 Z-wave chip. $60 is a rip-off when they can sell it for less then half that price and still make millions. I find their greed disgusting and will not reward it.

Ha ha ha, OK then. Seems the old adage "you get what you pay for" doesn't mean anything any more. I'm very happy with my choice (actually it cost more then $60 bucks with shipping and import to Asia, but that is peanuts to me for the service it's providing) and trust you will be with yours too. Choices are good and each to their own. I guess we can enjoy our purchases without having to make denigrating comments about what others may have chosen. Cheers.

2 Likes

Looks like a nice standalone kit for the price. I guess my only complaint is no integration into HE so I can't trap generated events like door opened, doorbell pressed or trigger chimes etc. Every use-case is different so for some this might be perfectly acceptable while for others like me, preferring a more "whole home automation" approach, maybe less so.
Have you looked into the Tuya stuff?

Edit: I didn't realize it is it's own expandable system that operates at 433 MHz. There might be a way to integrate stuff via some sort of receiver.

1 Like

AFAIK, not anymore.

1 Like

I’m not trying to convince anyone to buy the Aeotec doorbell 6, if you don’t think it’s worth your 60 bucks that’s your prerogative as a consumer. But how can you possibly defend that conclusion?

Have you opened the devices up to compare the actual hardware? Have you reviewed Aeotec’s financial statements? Presumably there are expenses associated with developing and manufacturing the device that extend beyond the cost of the plastic and silicon in the box that arrives from amazon.

Like @Angus_M said, aeotec does tend to make expensive devices, which some of us find to be worth the price. But that doesn’t necessarily mean that we are subsidizing their executive leadership’s yacht purchases...

2 Likes

For a different solution to your door chime, I'd recommend the Ring Keypad Version 1. It has like 5 or 6 different built in sounds, adjustable volume, a light you can also strobe in addition to sounds, and... a keypad. You can find them shipped to your house for $20! They work REALLY well too. (It's ZWave and you need the newest C7 hub for it to work).

2 Likes

Thank you for this! Just grabbed a couple to play around with.

2 Likes

Darn! Sold Out! There are other seller for a bit more.

Just pay it. They are well made :slight_smile:

Any idea how long the battery lasts on the Ring Keypad? I was testing a honeywell wireless doorbell which has a strobe/chime and is completely battery operated. It works great, but there is no way to connect it into HE unfortunately. Trying to find an alternative that is also battery powered so it can be hidden away.