Dome Valve

Still on the fence purchasing a Hubitat vs a Wink2 that I own. I want to migrate over but the fact that Hubitat connection to WWW is wired only, I'm having an issue. The Dome main water valve I have is very difficult to get access. With the Wink hub being wireless/ wired, I could crawl under the stairs to hit the button for include/exclude and watch the colors on the hub to know what mode I was in and if the hub succeeded in the process. Can Hubitat do the same - I think not since it is wired only. Anyone know of away to realize this fact with Hubitat hub?

I’m not sure I follow. Pairing a device Doesn’t have anything to do with Ethernet?

He's talking about bringing the hub close to the valve to do the pairing. There are ways around that. Just get a really long cable :). Seriously it's best to build out your mesh so you have repeaters along the way to the valve so that you can pair in place.

1 Like

First of all have you tried pairing the Dome shutoff with Hubitat yet ? I think not since you have stated you are on the fence still.

So hypothetically thinking here is Hubitat shouldn't have any problems pairing where the dome is located unless it is inside a steel box.

We can only guess a answer since that is all we can give since you have no way to find out yet.

1 Like

Excluding from wink worked first try, unfortunately I had to move the Hubitat close to my Dome shutoff to include. I had a 50’ Ethernet cable and connected to one of my Orbi satellites. If you go this route, be sure to use the shutdown feature in settings. If you pull power, the HE’s data could become corrupted.

Or you can get this WiFi range extender with one Ethernet port just for your HE hub.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Extender-External-Antennas-TL-WA855RE/dp/B0195Y0A42/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=wireless+extender&qid=1578117210&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&sprefix=wireless+ex&sr=8-3

Thanks for the responses. My experience with Wink and dome products, is that dome has issues with pairing to the hub. Sure you're only supposed to hit the button 3 times and poof it works. My experience, you have to have the product by the wink2 and keep hitting the button on the dome until you get recognition from the hub (especially the water valve). So I am assuming that this will be the case with the Hubitat hub or is it? (The dome products I have are prior to Elekta taking over dome.) Crawling under the stairs, hitting the button on the valve and the crawling out to see if it paired, repeat when necessary is NOT my idea of fun.

You can control and monitor the Hubitat Pairing process via your smartphone, using a web browser connection to your Hubitat Hub. This is how I pair every device in my house. I never need to look at the Physical Hubitat hub during the process, as it’s LED is not used in the pairing process. I have had to pair some z-wave devices close to the hub, then move them to their final locations and run a z-wave repair to establish the optimal mesh configuration.

2 Likes

??yikes. Am I to understand that if the Hubitat loses power unexpectedly, it will corrupt its data??

I mean that can literally happen to any device under the right conditions. Does it happen every time? Of course not. Is it possible? Sure.

2 Likes

Data corruption can happen under those conditions. I'd recommend putting your Hubitat on a UPS. And definitely do a control shutdown/reboot.

1 Like

Seeing as the age is always writing logs there’s always a possibility. It’s best to perform backups when you make hub changes so you can restore. And as others have suggested, it’s best to keep the hub on an UPS. I have all my networking gear on UPSes. Cyber power units from Costco are a good deal.

That is the case for almost anything not just Hubitat. WindowsPC can also break if a instant power loss happens.

Anything that uses a database to function is likely to crash from a instant power loss.

1 Like

Anything that uses electricity can be destroyed during a sudden change in current. Circuitry is pretty fragile.

2 Likes