Does Hubitat works with Bali Motorized Shades with AutoView Motorization (ZWAVE)?

I use Pico's to control my Graber shades. Pico's connect through the Lutron Caseta Pro Hub.

1 Like

I decided to stick with the z-wave remotes that came with my shades. In general I love the functionality that hubitat adds to Lutron Picos. But the advantage of using the remotes that came with the shades is they can still be directly associated to the shades after the shades have been paired with hubitat. If my hubitat hub is acting up for any reason, the shades can still be controlled locally, which ups the WAF.

1 Like

Mark,

Really? I've been trying to do the same but maybe the associate part is something I overlooked. I was trying to Include the remote control to the shade but every time I do that Hubitat looses control over the shades. Let me try associate and see how that goes.

Do you have Bali remote controls or Lutron?

Thanks

My Z-wave shades and the remotes that came with them are Graber brand, but both Bali and Graber have the same parent company, Springs Window Fashions, and as I mentioned it's all Somfy tech for the shade motors and z-wave modules.

Your remote is not the same as mine, but it might still be possible to associate with your shades while the shades remain paired to Hubitat. I would start by watching the youtube videos in the SmartThings forum thread I linked to above. Then I would take a look in the manual for the shades to see if any of the steps outlined in the videos might differ slightly for that remote.

It's not possible to directly associate a Lutron Pico remote with a Z-wave device because they use different wireless protocols that are completely unrelated. That's one of the things that makes Hubitat really cool; it allows you to use a Lutron Pico as a remote for pretty much anything else that Hubitat supports. But that's because the hub is acting as an intermediary.

1 Like

@giulianomx
I have just successfully integrated the 12 channel remote with hubitat but you have to jump through some hoops.....

In hubitat start up z-wave inclusion
On the remote hold menu button, then select 'z-wave' and then select 'learn'

I can't remember if hubitat set the type of device correctly but it should be 'Generic z-wave button controller'.

Now the fun really begins......
When you press a button you should see an event in the 'Events' tab for the device. You need to remember the value for each button press. I'm assuming yours would be the same as mine but i guess i can't guarantee that. Mine were:
Button - Value
1 up - 1
2 up - 2
3 up - 3
...(etc etc)
1 down - 13
2 down - 14
3 down - 15
...(etc etc)
1 home - 25
2 home - 26
3 home - 27
...(etc etc)

Now you need the 'Rule machine' app. Create a new rule with a trigger event of 'Button' (i couldn't get 'Button device' to work. Select your button device and then enter the values from above as the 'Button number'.
Then add the relevant action you want to perform when that button is pressed.

4 Likes

You are a genius. I wish I saw your post earlier, not sure what happened there but I had to live more than a year just by relying on Hubitat to open and close the shades on a schedule. Now I can control them individually or as a group and with the Home preference location of the shades as a plus. I can do even more by using the remaining channels. I am just using 3 channels for now.

Channel 1 -> 1 -> Open Dining Room Left Shade
Channel 1 -> 13 -> Close Dining Room Left Shade
Channel 1 -> 25 -> Home Dining Room Left Shade to 75% open

Channel 2 -> 2 -> Open Dining Room Right Shade
Channel 2 -> 14 -> Close Dining Room Right Shade
Channel 2 -> 26 -> Home Dining Room Right Shade to 75% open

Channel 3 -> 3 -> Open Dining Room Shade
Channel 3 -> 15 -> Close Dining Room Shades
Channel 3 -> 27 -> Home Dining Room Shades to 50% open

And much more can be done.

Thank you so much sir.

1 Like

Hmmmm. This leaves me with some questions. Some of you have stated you can use the remote and hubitat. But have not specifically answered the question as to how.
-Pico makes sense, signal goes through the lutron pro hub, telnet over to the hubitat, hubitat zwave to the blinds. Cool. If the either hub goes down no blind control, and there maybe considerations for the upper and lower blind limits.
-Next is similar pair the remote with hubitat, so the remote talks to hubitat and sends out a zwave to the blinds. Again hubitat is down then no blind control and upper and lower limits are a question.
-The 3rd mode is the one I am not understanding. Where the hubs are doing their thing and the remote is paired directly to the blinds at the same time. Can the blinds be paired to 2 devices at the same time? Where are the upper and lower limits set and held? I have to assume the blinds have some kind of encoder so the limits are stored in them, I don't know how this functions with hubitat.
Sorry for asking the questions before trying I am trying to decided if I throw a pile of time into this. I am several hours into the lutron hibitat google combination and getting a little tired. For the record lutron and hubitat are great, google kinda sucks. Takes a while to find the right combination to get the result I was looking for. Now do I throw the blinds into the mix when I have a perfectly good remote. I was going to use the Bali app, but the reviews are ABSOLUTLY terrible. I do have the remote that was pictured above and its not bad. The problem is there are no schedules or voice control.

Yes you can directly associate the remote with the shades while the shades are also paired to Hubitat, as I described above. Zebrablinds videos on YouTube explain how it’s done.

The upper and lower limits are set with the remote (as demonstrated in another one of their YouTube videos) and are stored in the shade itself.

1 Like

Perfect and thank you. Sorry if I missed the video prior.

1 Like

I just installed my Bali Z-Wave cellular shades and have them working with both Hubitat and the 3-button "Plus" remote.

I tried to use the video, but some of the LED flash sequences on my shades did not match what happened on the video. I subsequently learned that there are behavioral differences depending on the year your shades were manufactured.

I find it easier to use written instructions vs. a video for things like this. I did some searching and found the step-by-step instructions linked below. Everything worked exactly as described:

Z-Wave: Starting over with programming using Standard or Plus Remote : Support Center (springswf.net)

Z-Wave: Adding Shades and/or Remotes to a 3rd Party Z-Wave Home Automation system. : Support Center (springswf.net)

Z-Wave: How do I adjust my lower limit using the Z-Wave Standard or Plus remote? : Support Center (springswf.net)

Z-Wave: How do I adjust the upper limit using the Z-Wave Standard or Plus Remote? : Support Center (springswf.net)

Posting this in case some finds it helpful in the future.

Marc