Does Hubitat have the capability to change the report interval of a temperature sensor to <5 minutes?

In Homeassistant this is possible with some temperature sensors like the Sonoff SNZB-02 via either z2m or ZHA Toolkit. But there's a substantial chance of you not getting any support if anything doesn't work there. And I wanted to know if I can expect the opposite with Hubitat.

Sonoff SNZB-02 T/H sensor can be configured to report as frequently as every 10 seconds on 0.1 deg.C change, but you need to use a custom driver.

The stock driver minimum reporting time is 5 minutes, if I am not wrong.

2 Likes

sounds good
So, is there a substantial amount of users who couldn't get this to work or is it all good?

I think that in 95% of the use cases, a 5-minute reporting interval is just fine, usually the ambient temperature does not change very rapidly.

Configuring very short reporting intervals must be done carefully to avoid the possible flooding the Zigbee network with very frequently reported data.

I'm using oil radiators because I prefer them in terms of noise and "air feel" so far (compared to infrared and hot air radiators). From what I've read they store more heat than other types of radiators making them more prone to a larger error margin if they don't report often enough, I've experimented a bunch with different settings as well and I feel like there's no way around higher report intervals

So, do you think a 60-600s report interval is really too much for a network with 2 thermostats, 8 lights and 3 smart plugs?
And are there ways to upgrade the network so that it won't have an issue with being flooded from this reporting frequency?

I have three of these sensors that are set to report on a .25°C change with a 10 sec. Max and 3600sec. Min. Those plus my other 65 zigbee devices (including about 9 other Aqara temp. Sensors) don't create any issues.

If the mesh is strong, I don't see a problem with your planned intervals.

1 Like

can you elaborate on what you mean by "strong mesh"?

By strong mesh I mean the sensors have a quality path to get their messages back to the hub, whether it is a direct link from sensor to hub or maybe through another device that repeats the message.

What we don't want is for the messages to not make it back and have to be re-sent.

This is quite OK.

My 10 (approx) DHT22 'S report every 3 minutes.

WiFi / nodemcu / konnected.

No issues at all.