Do you replace batteries by time or as needed?

I use device activity check and keep a spreadsheet. When there is no activity, the device gets a battery.

I log everything into a spreadsheet and look for consistency. If a device consistently stops functioning at a certain battery level I'll use device activity check to notify me just before that level (my door luck is one of these devices).

I use @kahn-hubitat's port of Battery Manager and set a 15% warning level and start watching it and replace the battery when reporting goes below 10%. Haven't had any devices die following that approach, which is key for WAF.

Same, but for tracking how often I'm usually replacing them so I can see if a device is getting odd battery drain. My devices are all CR123, CR2, and CR2302, except for door locks.

1 Like

What CR2 rechargeables are you using...I'd really like to switch to CR2 rechargeables. Already on rechargeables for AA & AAA, which aside from CR-2032 are the only batteries I use in any quantity.

I’ve been using these 880mAh 3V CR2 rechargeable batteries from AliExpress:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003125542167.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.54.2ce41802zXjqKW

My first order, I got a set that came with a charger.

1 Like

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Presumably you're happy with the batteries and the charger. Any quirks or things you've noticed worth sharing?

Yes, very happy. Only quirk is that they don’t last as long as non-rechargeable. So, need to change then more often, but I got a bunch of extras so I always keep 3 fully charged and swap.

1 Like

I like your idea better than mine. I print labels from a Brother label printer and stick them to the device.

2 Likes

I'm of the belief of not replacing batteries since technology changes so quickly. I just throw away the device, replace it, and use the swap feature in Hubitat. All good. :wink:

2 Likes