Do they make an "off the shelf" Zigbee or Z-Wave Device that has > 5 logic inputs/outputs that can be used with Hubitat Elevation C7?

Have one sitting right next to me... :smile:

1 Like

I really don't know what exactly your trying to do but does this get you any closer? I know the single channel one works natively in Hubitat.

MHCOZY 4 Channel 12V ZigBee Relay Switch with Clean Contact, Adjustable Self-Lock and Momentary Interlock Working Mode,Automate Garage Gate Door Blind(Zigbee Hub needed) Amazon.com

What only $23 - what a steal.
A big BINGO - This is probably the closest I will get from a high multiple count I/O from Zigbee.
Again, thank for the info.

1 Like

But I think that is only outputs?

1 Like

To be clear, the MHCOZY devices are not I/O devices. All they provide is control of multiple relays, ranging from 1-4 in number.

If you want real I/O in a zigbee device, you need something like a MonaLisa board. Available here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283753298016

Full Documentation Here.

2 Likes

With this combo, even though it doesn't fit my I/O count. It is generic enough to allow me
to reduce the cost on a lot of my HE automation and control applications.

FIBARO KeyFob Remote, Z-Wave Plus Scene Controller, FGKF-601, White (6 buttons) (Amazon)
and
MHCOZY 4 Channel 12V ZigBee Relay Switch with Clean Contact (Amazon)

Thanks guys. :grinning:

1 Like

Could an Led controller be repurposed? It's Tuya so good knows if it even works for its intended purpose.

My guess is there is no market for such a device. You may purchase one but I don't see it as a big seller.

2 Likes

Err no. It only sucks if itā€™s done badly.

Nearly all my lighting and switching is done this way using Clipsal C-Bus; star and ring wired back to my distribution boxes. It works 100% every time, which you canā€™t say about any radio Z based technology. If I moved home I would definitely implement it this way again and definitely not ZWave or Zigbee, the latter admittedly not being well suited to a property built in 1720. Yes, it was harder and possibly more costly to install though., particularly if you are retrofitting, which I was. Lutron I believe works pretty well in suitable properties although itā€™s not as widely available in the UK.

When I move home one wired link is all it takes to return my lighting to traditional operation. Should it ever ā€˜failā€™ likewise 1 switch returns everything to traditional switches / manual operation. Compared with all other RF based solutions that is such a great fallback. I donā€™t have to bequeath a HA legacy on the new owners. One drawback it doesnā€™t handle colour bulbs really but they are few and far between in my system and I use an RF solution for those .. preferably WiFi.

Do I buy into the OPā€™s view of a single localised I/O for lots of loads - not really when homegrown, but it could work and Loxone promote this architecture in their system very successfully as do Crestron, Control4 and AMX to name a few big names. Most have a distributed RF based individual load fallback offering too though. DIY projects with XYZ controller boards are very prone to become a ā€˜suckā€™ solution as @JasonJoel says..

3 Likes

We can agree to disagree.

If you want centralized wiring but still have local switches wired it adds a tremendous amount of cost, space needed, and complexity for very little benefit.

That's my opinion. But each to their own.

2 Likes

Switches donā€™t need to be centrally wired - only lighting loads as ā€˜switched liveā€™ is always available there at the bulb. The majority of my switches are unaltered with just one run of cable to each light fixture with the switched live and ā€˜intercepted/automatedā€™ live return.

In my case however as C-Bus uses a low voltage bus some switches do use low voltage and are wiring adapted. These are the ones I needed multi way instead of older single way or wanted LED indicators or LCD menus on. They need two wires (one pair) from a CAT5 cable or the original mains cable needed isolating and re-appropriating.

HE users are not going to choose this path instead opting for an inbuilt RF based integration, so yesā€¦. Letā€™s agree to disagreeā€¦

3 Likes

Ah, got it. I've seen c-bus installs before in the UK but I guess I didn't understand how the wall buttons/switched worked in that system.

So maybe my comment was more "USA" focused, as I've never seen a c-bus system in the US. :slight_smile:

I don't mind standing corrected - There may be other systems that are good I haven't seen too?

1 Like

I have an Aeotec NanoMote Quad and a couple of their Gen 7 smart plugs and they work fine. I was thinking of getting another NanoMote Quad and either 2 more of the Get 7 plugs for another room when I saw the Fibaro KeyFob Remote with 6 buttons. Is the Fibaro driver built in or is it a contributed driver written by a community member?

I would need 2 of the smart plugs unless someone can point me to a device with 2 smart plugs built into 1 device.

How happy are people with the Aeotec vs. the Fibrao? Are there plugs others recommend?

1 Like

4 relays and 4 inputs per module.

6 Likes

That's a nice find! The four inputs make it really useful.

2 Likes

Just as an update, I now have 2 of the Fibaro 6 button Keyfobs for a few months now and Iā€™m very happy with them.

1 Like

And a bunch of options and cases available!

1 Like

These kind of comments are very helpful for someone like me looking for a good keyfob. so Thanks!

BTW, besides the 6 buttons having a basic push they also recognize double tap, held and released (the later mostly if you use "held" to start dimming a light, then "released" to stop the dimming). So that gives you a world of options. While I use the minus sign to toggle a light on and off (via a basic Rule Machine rule: If on turn it off and vice versa) I use the minus sign held to turn off all the lights and my fan in the room I'm using it in. It also comes with a key chain attached (like, duh, since it is called a key fob, :->), but since I keep it on my desk I found that comes off very easily.