Do they make an "off the shelf" Zigbee or Z-Wave Device that has > 5 logic inputs/outputs that can be used with Hubitat Elevation C7?

Countless applications include:
Remote lighting control
Remote security
Remote status/reporting annunciation

Having I/O clustered in one location will save a lot of money.
Using just "one bit" like an outlet/switch cost between $9 to $20

1 Like

Even 5 I/O would be great :grinning:
Using a PLC (programmable logic controller) is overkill and not cost effective.
Maybe Hubitat could break out some I/O from their ARM processor for a DIY experimental hub?
They sure will make money - I have my checkbook/MC/Visa on standby.

1 Like

Good...you might want to update your OP and thread title - that may get you more interest/responses assuming there are more devices known by users in that range.

1 Like

But it would increase the complexity of designing and wiring up a system to take advantage of such a capability.

Assuming we’re talking about the general consumer market for home automation. Most people can understand how to connect a smart outlet, or even an in-wall switch.

To add a centralized multi-I/O device into the mix, you’re kinda jumping into hobbyist/enthusiast territory anyway, even if the device itself didn’t need to be cobbled together from several individual parts.

So I don’t think the market for it is as gigantic as you’re making it out to be.

5 Likes

I hate central wiring for lighting with a passion. There are a number of systems that do it that way, and it's all nice and fine until your automation system doesn't work for whatever reason. Then you can't even turn on the lights properly.

It's been done, and it sucks.

And if you're still going to put in the wall switches hard wired as a backup to return around that, then you increase wiring cost not reduced it.

5 Likes

What about Hubduino? Seems to be very close to that...

4 Likes

I was just going to suggest the same thing. While I think it's a horrible idea, it would actually be trivially easy to do with an Arduino (or a few), a few relays (there are a number of 8 to 16 pre-made relay boards), and hubduino.

2 Likes

Pico remotes are dirt cheap, and are excellent for lighting control. They have table stands, wall mounts that don't require a box, or you can just place them about the house.

Yea, but then you are stringing wires everywhere. And copper isn't cheap, and it looks like a half-â– â– â–  mess of spaghetti. In many houses you wouldn't be able to reach across the house, or the voltage drop would be so bad that it wouldn't work as you envision. There is a reason that battery remotes are a thing.

I will just point out that Hubitat does not endorse using the hub as a security device. If you want a central alarm system, they make panels to accept hardwired door and window sensors and tested/certified as a security device.

2 Likes

Agreed...I would say you can use HE for a "security blanket" but I would never rely on HE or SmartThings, Vera, etc., for true home security. Too many devices on battery, too many opportunities for things to not always work as expected.

4 Likes

Even changing the I/O from > 10 down to > 5 there are still no viable solutions using Zigbee or
Z-Wave from HE?

1 Like

The Zooz Zen17 has multiple inputs and outputs, but nowhere near 10.

Once you have multiple independent inputs and independent outputs, the price goes up significantly, and the device availability goes downward. There just isn't much of a market for 10 or even 5 I/O like this. Like others have mentioned, this is getting into DIY territory.

2 Likes

With rudimentary programming skills it would be very easy to make one with a zwave.me z-uno2 and a relay board.

Standard Z-Wave communication, and supported by pretty much any Z-Wave controller.

So, I guess it depends on how ambitious you are. But it is doable.

Would be doable in zigbee too, as there are a number of make your own zigbee kits out there.

I don't know of any pre-made off the shelf items like this though. There simply isn't demand for it.

3 Likes

Yup, I was thinking about Andy Haas' MonaLisa board.

2 Likes

Have one sitting right next to me... :smile:

1 Like

I really don't know what exactly your trying to do but does this get you any closer? I know the single channel one works natively in Hubitat.

MHCOZY 4 Channel 12V ZigBee Relay Switch with Clean Contact, Adjustable Self-Lock and Momentary Interlock Working Mode,Automate Garage Gate Door Blind(Zigbee Hub needed) Amazon.com

What only $23 - what a steal.
A big BINGO - This is probably the closest I will get from a high multiple count I/O from Zigbee.
Again, thank for the info.

1 Like

But I think that is only outputs?

1 Like

To be clear, the MHCOZY devices are not I/O devices. All they provide is control of multiple relays, ranging from 1-4 in number.

If you want real I/O in a zigbee device, you need something like a MonaLisa board. Available here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283753298016

Full Documentation Here.

2 Likes

With this combo, even though it doesn't fit my I/O count. It is generic enough to allow me
to reduce the cost on a lot of my HE automation and control applications.

FIBARO KeyFob Remote, Z-Wave Plus Scene Controller, FGKF-601, White (6 buttons) (Amazon)
and
MHCOZY 4 Channel 12V ZigBee Relay Switch with Clean Contact (Amazon)

Thanks guys. :grinning:

1 Like

Could an Led controller be repurposed? It's Tuya so good knows if it even works for its intended purpose.