Do I need a second Hubitat?

Sale ends today.

My Hubitat is definitely slowing down.

Echo Speaks seems to be using the most resources by far but I like it and use it a lot.

Is it feasible to just use one Hubitat for Alexa devices?

Would that address the issue?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

:slightly_smiling_face:

Hubitat shouldn't be slowing down persae. Is it a c5 or a c7? If a c7 can you post your z-wave table?

1 Like

The answer of course is always "yes".. :wink:

Also good for a hardware backup if planning on keeping it for a while..

2 Likes

Z-Wave table.
I have no ghosts or unidentified devices as far as I know.

Post the table, not the topology...

1 Like

If you truly use it a lot, buy a second hub while they’re on sale. Cloud requests are going to use a lot of the hub’s time, no way around that. If you haven’t already, change the event history and state history to 1 on your echo devices. That will make your database much smaller, which may also help.

1 Like

Are you running V3, or V4 of Echo speaks?

V4 should be much lower overhead.

i stopped using echo speaks because it bogged my c-5 down. i use [Release] Amazon Alexa Text to Speech (TTS) v0.6.2 - Direct Integration (USA, Canada, UK, Italy, Australia, & Brazil) and never looked back. i also like the fact i don't need to use a 3rd party to run it

1 Like

@Hal3

@rlithgow1 hit the nail on the head - the table makes it easier to see if there are any z-wave issues. Your topology indicates that your mesh needs some strengthening (red is bad, blue is good). I don't think my mesh is particularly good, and it has a lot more blue that yours does.

1 Like

Except Amazon :laughing:

4 Likes

Thanks for all of the suggestions!
Still sorting them out.

1 Like

I would start with two things:

1. @nh.schottfam's suggestion to make sure you are using the latest version of Echo Speaks (V4 and not V3).
  2. Check your z-wave table to make sure there are no ghost nodes (they'll have no in or out clusters).
2 Likes

I thought this was happening a couple years ago and put ES on SmartThings until last August or September when I moved it back to HE. I think a combination of improvements with HE and ES software have contributed to my not seeing any issues with it since. That said, I only have about 15 pretty simple rules that use ES and only 9 of my Echos integrated with HE.

Keep in mind that the more battery powered devices you have the more you will see red in general. Red blocks by its nature doesn't exactly mean you have problems, but you have more chance for not having enough routes for devices to get to the hub reliably. More blue is always better, but allot of battery powered devices will lead to allot of red as well.

2 Likes

I purchased a second hub a while ago and find it very useful to be able to have some “problematic” devices on a separate hub. This includes non-standard Zigbee devices, resource intensive devices and also, since one is a C-7 and the other (second hub) is a C-5, Z-Wave devices that play better with the 500 series chip.

The Hub Mesh functionality works extremely well at making all devices available to the desired hub.

I would certainly recommend purchasing a second hub while it is on sale.

4 Likes