Do I need a Hue Bridge to use Hue motion sensors

I am currently changing over from ST to Hubitat and have most lights and switches turned over to Hubitat. (Wanted local control though I still have ST to control my Schlage connect deadbolt because does not appear it works well with Hubitat - need easy access to set codes, and a few other devices). I want to do more home automation including having some lights controlled by motion sensors. Everyone says the Philips Hue motion sensors are great so my question is do I need a Hue bridge or not needed with Hubitat?

Also can I control other switches using a Hue motion sensor that is not a philips product? Ex. Can I control a Leviton z wave light switch with a rule using hue motion sensor? Seems like you could, but curious.

Thanks in advance for any help

If Philips Hue needs Bridge, any advice on other brands of motion sensors that you can currently buy.

1 Like

No, these will join directly with Hubitai.

Yes

What @mike.maxwell said. Though if you have hue bulbs or any other shitty zigbee bulbs, leave them on the hue hub and use cocohue to control them from Hubitat. ZLL based zigbee bulbs don't play nice with zigbee meshes as they make terrible repeaters. If you want better bulbs, pick ones that are zigbee 3.0 or ZHA like Sengled bulbs.

1 Like

Agree, I switched all my Cree smart light bulbs over to Sengled already. My Leviton in wall switch for outdoor driveway lights work great with Hubitat so now I want to get motion sensors for some lights to automate as you walk in and out of rooms. I have read that you can create a rule to have the Leviton in wall
Switch turn on when motion is picked up my motion sensor. So not worried about bulbs in this case. Costco has 2 Hue motion sensors for $59 but I do not want to purchase any hue hub. Making sure this idea will work without the hue hub. Appreciate the feedback. Still switching thing over. Guess I am stuck with my two nest thermostats and Schlage door lock on ST for now :wink:

Easy to do using Basic Rules. If you haven't done so already you can add Basic Rules using the "Add Built-In App" button on the top right of the Apps page.

Welcome to the community!

1 Like

There is a paid 3rd party HE app that will integrate this.

Not aware of this, do you know how to search for it? Does not pull up for nest.

Have setup some Basic rules already. Pretty excited about Hubitat. Seems much more solid than ST and more responsive.

2 Likes

[RELEASE] My Next Manager for your Nest® Tstats, Protects and Sensors: all Nest attributes available (home/away, motion detection, setTargetHumidity, setHotWaterBoost) for automation-and no throttling!?

1 Like