DNS Name

A recent server tool in my LAN identified a device issue - a device that it said may not belong. The 'hubitat.local'.

I think it queried the device or its very old and legacy - unsure. In '21 bravenel noted this was something that might get looked it.

My settings show 'device name' as hubitat with name on Lan as hubitat.local. My internal network is e-wiz.world.
I can put an alias into my DNS but the advanced scanner tool still comes back with hubitat.local. My feature request is an override to fqdn to allow user to override / customize the default.
I'm not requesting domain join, just saving me from having to manage an alias in my DNS. I'm running DNS on a microsoft 2021 server as my primary.

If you go to Settings|Hub Details and change the Hub name on LAN does that do want you want?

I think they want to change the domain which you cannot do that I am aware of.

The hub really should just broadcast the hostname as non-FQDN, which is how most other devices do it I think, then the domain of the LAN is automatically assumed. I think the .local part is mainly for mDNS.

1 Like

I found even if you change the host name, this does not seem to work either. So for example, hubitat is the default name and this works in that case. So if you put it in the browser hubitat.local it will work. However, if you change the host name to something else and enter that host name in.local, it will not work.

One of mine is named "hubitat-main" and hubitat-main.local works in the browser for me just now. I never use it because I have the IP bookmarked, but it does work. Might take a router and/or hub reboot for it to propagate fully.

I had to double check I posted in Feature Requests :slight_smile:
The community pounced trying to help !

Generally, network devices advertise their hostname, and in a M$ environment the DNS will concatenate your domain name. In other environments the domain name is it's own variable.
That's simply what is missing here IMHO.

So using a canon imagerunner printer as an example - I enter a name and in a separate field I enter a domain name.
Name = hubitat
Domain name suffix = e-wiz.world

When queried for an FQDN my device would respond with 'hubitat.e-wiz.world'.
There is an optional switch for 'register with DNS'.

Interestingly, there is also a mDNS override but less sophisticated devices don't normally have this and I am not suggesting that feature also be added. I'm just asking for more robust fqdn. Microsoft killed .local years ago.

Edit - came back to add, I also manage my dumb devices by using DHCP to provide the domain name. Not all device use the feature but my DHCP server does in fact provide this data for the device to use as well. see image below of my active dhcp scope options.

well - oddly seeing hubitat having problems in another thread answers this problem - at least explains it.
" By default, mDNS exclusively resolves hostnames ending with the .local top-level domain. This can cause problems if .local includes hosts that do not implement mDNS but that can be found via a conventional unicast DNS server. Resolving such conflicts requires network-configuration changes that mDNS was designed to avoid."

Seems hubitat uses .local to use mDns. For what reason I can't really fathom since it has no need for dns resolution in general. must be tied to the 'find' feature. oh boy. and that explain how bonjour fell to the way side and never got traction either.

Is that quote from another forum thread, or the Wikipedia article on mDNS?

The hub uses mDNS for at least a couple reasons. The HomeKit integration, for example.

Iā€™m no networking expert but i think mDNS is a commonly used protocol. Try googling Avahi, for example.

DNS and mDNS can exist fine together without much tweaking. mDNS can be disabled on an individual system but is largely unnecessary to do so. Even trying to get HE to somehow override it, that won't help every other iot device that uses it (and the majority of them do). As to adding an alias, that just it, it's an alias to the device. You can add in a static host name and it will resolve to that name instead of resolving to it's actual name which is what an alias will typically do. Honestly unless you're so OCD about the issue, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Put in a static host name into your primary DNS server table and it will be fine.