DIY- Battery Backup Hubitat- under TEN bucks-NO soldering

Has anyone found a case for this?

Yes mate it's listed above.

2 Likes

If only I had a 3D printer

I had a friend print me one but if that failed I had planned to visit my state library as they have them available now which is cool. Maybe you have something like that in your local area? Otherwise I found people advertising to print stuff for a small fee facebook market place etc.

Really, I’ll look into that

Just curious, can those sub $100 printers print something like these?

Sorry no idea as I don't have any 3d printing experience.

My local library has one. Perhaps yours does too?

2 Likes

Good news, mine does too. Thank you

2 Likes

Where are people finding the 18650 batteries?

I know you can buy them from Amazon. Be sure to do some due diligence on the vendor.

3 Likes

Aaiyar is 100% correct.
I use liionwholesale.com, as they validate all their shipments and guarantee all genuine batteries. There are many many fakes out there, which can be downright dangerous. I have gotten some genuine deals from the Chinese sites, but I have been working with lithium batteries for over 10 years and have the right equipment to check. I would say to get the Panasonic 18650 3500 mAh, as you don't need high amp output and their 3500 mAh will allow longer runtimes in the event of a power outage.

1 Like

Thx. I ordered two

So I ordered everything listed here and it finally came in. I let the battery charge overnight before attempting to power the HE through this.

I have no success in powering the HE. The red light is on but never boots up nor does the stick turn blue. Thoughts?

There is a tiny on/off switch, that controls output, see if that helps. I'm not at home to test right now

Yes I have that on. Doesn’t power up.

Do some testing such as trying to plug your mobile phone in to see if the board is working correctly, test the battery level etc. All I did though was charge the battery, flick the tiny on/off switch and it worked so maybe you just happened to get a faulty board.. :frowning:

What hub do you have? I have a C4 & a C5, both are powered via these devices. If yours is a C5 hub, the micro USB cables can be problematic. I have 5 of these Wemos devices. I would do as jchurch said and try other cables/devices.
Not sure of your skill level, but below are some simple tests. Harbour freight has very cheap/free meters, plus they are handy for lots of things.
Check for voltage at the points below. If you don't get 5 volts along the edge terminals the board is bad, unless the battery is in backwards.

1 Like

I have the C3. I will use a meter on it to see power voltage.

I know not of the C3 hub, what is the power adaptor rated for ?
possibly a 12 volt device? i have no idea