Discuss need for Lutron Caseta bridge

I'm assuming from the way you answered that I could not just mount the new Caseta switch at one location, and then just leave the other switch(es) as the original dumb switches. I don't really need a Pico switch at all the locations if the dumb switches will still do their job.

In most cases, no you don't use dumb switches. The Pico simply mounts over the old box. As noted, the wires are capped and don't do anything under the Pico switch.

1 Like

You need a Lutron switch or dimmer at at least one location and the dumb switches to be changed out with Pico's (Pico's typically run about $15.00 each). Dumb switches can't be combined with Lutron, zooz, or innovelli to make 3 way systems. You have to use button controllers with them,

So pick the prime feed location for the 3 or 4 way. Disconnect the travlers. Hook up smart switch as a regular switch/dimmer. At other locations where the remaining switches are, cap everything with wire nuts. Mount Pico,,,

2 Likes

Watch this Caséta Wireless: How to Replace 3-Way Switches with Caséta Wireless Dimmers - YouTube

1 Like

I'm glad you said in most cases. In my garage I replaced a three-way switch setup with one Gosund Model SW6 and left the other switch as is. Of course it won't integrate with Hubitat, but it will work with Alexa and Google Home. It also responds to the Smart Life app.

You can also control all the Lutron stuff with google/Alexa/Siri

1 Like

I do have 2 locations where a caseta switch at one end and a dumb switch at the other end for 3 ways.

I can't remember the exact model numbers, but most or many of the Caseta cannot be paired with a dumb switch. The typical Caseta dimmer kit you buy at somewhere like Home Depot cannot be used with a dumb switch. There are some very specific Lutron part numbers that can.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.