Discovering AEOTEC DWS 7 Pro

I am new to Hubitat and a bit new to zWave. I connected my Aeotec dws7 pro to my Nexia, but it had limited functions and could not do what I wanted to. This was a hub included with my furnaces. It added and I could get the sensor to trigger in events, but there was really no automation I could do on the event. I looked at several Hubs such as samsung smart things, but after reading some, it sounded like Hubitat would be best with no connection fees.

So this is trying to connect my first device to Hubitat and I cannot get it to discover. I did the exclusion, did a hard reset, did a discovery. The aeotec, blinks red green for 30 seconds or so, then just stops. Does not blink red or green for status as it states it should. The discovery window does not list any devices found.

My goal was to connect a Dakota Driveway alert into my alexa to nodify me when someone was driving up driveway. I saw a post what products to use, except I went with Hubitat instead of smart things, and figured there would be a bit of learning curve. I am IT person, but I know this is a bit different. I have been reading about firmware versions on the Aeotec, I am not sure what version it is at as I just bought it and do not yet have it connected. Can I push out the firmware updates via Hubitat once it connects? I was not completely sure, but was thinking this is the driver code area of the Hubitat.

Thanks in advance for any info and guidance.

Yes, you can push out Aeotec firmware updates. Your options depend on which model Hubitat hub you have. Look on the bottom of the hub, it will say.

The current version is the C-7. For that version, updates are easier, and you just add the built-in app Device Firmware Updater that is a part of the firmware beginning with 2.2.4. See:

If you have an earlier version of the Hubitat hub, you have to switch drivers to one of two identically-named Firmware Updater drivers that, unfortunately, have the same version identifier. Each of the two supports certain types of firmware files, and one of them has some bugs.

If you have a C-5 or earlier hub, post back and someone in the forum will point you in the right direction.

Was the Aeotec close to the Hubitat hub? Sometimes that is necessary.

What version firmware is on your Hubitat hub? You should bring it current - early firmware versions didn’t work well on the C-7 for inclusion. Have you made sure that your Z-Wave radio on the Hubitat is up-to-date? That’s a separate firmware update that needs to be done on the early C-7 hubs.

Perhaps the Z-Wave radio in the Hubitat is confused from your attempts at pairing. Shut your hub down cleanly to the red light (Settings, Shutdown), unplug the power (only way to reset Z-Wave radio, when shutdown) for 30 seconds, re power, boot to green light, try inclusion again.

And welcome to the Hubitat community!

Thanks for replies.
My Hubitat is C-7. I thought I checked for firmware update and stated latest, but now checking I see
Currently running version: 2.2.3.148

New Version Available: 2.2.4.148

I am applying update

I was trying the inclusion about 2 feet apart. I then moved it to within a few inches, but that did not help.

I now updated to new firmware version, reset my Aeotec, tried inclusion again and same behavior, the Aeotec flashes red/green for about 30 seconds, then stops. No green or red status indicator. Habitat does not show any found devices.

I tried the zwave firmware update...Z-wave Updater: Firmware is already up to date.
I did zwave reset while in this section.

Tried several more times with reset of Aeotec. Still not discovering.

Some said issues with Aeotec DWS 7 and Hubitat, Could it be these are not compaitable? I suppose it could be one or the other faulty as this is all new and first connection I have tried. Could be me too :slight_smile:

Does this device support SmartStart? If so you may want to try including it that way, was the only way my Ring Range Extenders would quickly include.

There is one thing I suggested that you did not say you have done, and that is to cleanly shut down the Hubitat (Settings, Shutdown) to red light, and then power off (pull the plug) for 30 seconds, then re-power and let the hub boot to green light. When the hub shuts down, power is still applied to the Z-Wave radio. The only way to reset the Z-Wave radio is to remove power to the hub.

The other piece of information that might be useful is to provide a screenshot of your Z-Wave Details page (the 3 vertical dots in upper right corner of hub web pages), your multiple failed inclusions may have left “ghost nodes” that could be messing up your mesh communication. This used o be a much bigger problem when the C-7 was first introduced, but recent firmware updates have greatly reduced this issue.

Quit also might be useful to leave a browser tab open to the live logs (hamburger dropdown in upper left corner of screen) while you are attempting the include, to see if there are any Z-Wave busy messages.

It sounds like you are doing the right things. I have a Aeotec Door/Window Sensor 7 (non-Pro), and I can confirm that it can be paired.

The SmartStart suggestion is a good one. That is done through the mobile app. Post back if ou can’t figure that out.

The Aeotec states is supports smart start, but I am not sure about Habitat. And I see the Aeotec is zwave plus.

Added Hubitat app on the phone, went into smart start, scanned the code

If I got to learn mode in app, it states unable to activate Z-wave Learn Mode as controller is SIS. I have not found what SIS is yet.

Id I so smart start, It scans the code, I see the id and it states not included, pending. Name: Location. I see I could enter info in the name and location fields, but it is still at not included, pending.

I will keep searching and trying

Nope, you don’t want to do Learn Mode. That’s used when a secondary hub is added to the primary. You aren’t doing that here.

Once it gets to included pending, I want to say that all it may need is for you to power it on, then check your device page. If it's there, bring up the device and hit configure.

The C-7 does support SmartStart. Here is the relevant documentation.

SmartStart is an initial power on thing (intended for easy out-of-the-box experience). Reset your DWS7 Pro to factory default, then remove the battery, replace it during the SmartStart process.

Still no luck adding :frowning:

I did not do anything yesterday, thought maybe it needed time to get out of pending.

Today I removed the device from the smart start, powered off Hubitat for about a minute, reset the aeotec to factory setting ( I assume this is hold the switch for 10-30 seconds and it flashes red twice. ) Powered up the Hubitat, once up, went to mobile app, did the smart start, it was added with pending, Then put in the battery to aeotec. Still not listed under devices.

I sent off an email to Aeotec support, see if they can assist. Maybe I am not resetting the aeotec properly. It looks like Aeotec offers a hub, but only France and Germany. Looks to be same as smartthings. I thought smartthings was discontinued. I also saw mention smartthings was going subscription. Or it was continued, but you have to buy the samsung mesh router. I have an orbi mesh that works fine for me, no need for a new router.

I forgot to include some of the information that others stated to look at.
I did not see anything that stood out in logs.
Not pretty to paste here.

And since new, I could not post the log or upload the config

1 Like

No, that’s not necessary. Aeotec is now a SmartThings partner for Europe. The Aeotec hub is the SmartThings hub, for Europe.

I received response from Aeotec on proper way to reset. Once I preformed, the pending discovery in smart start must have activated and my device now displays. Thanks all for your help.

I did not see process on the instruction sheet received or looking on website.

To manually factory reset:

1. Remove the cover of Door / Window Sensor 7
  2. Press and hold tamper switch for 5 seconds until the red LED blinks.
  3. Release the tamper switch
  4. Immediately press and hold the tamper switch for 5 seconds until the red LED blinks
1 Like

I found that reset information in the Aeotec DWS 7 Pro online manual, more detail than in the paper that comes with the DWS. And during my lunch today, I was able to figure out how to change the parmaters on Aeotec via the Hubitat device. I was thinking it was dip switches. LOL, I guess shows my age. Once I changed contacts to use the terminal screws instead of magnets, then connected to Dakotoa 4k plus, then added the hubitat skill to alexa, created a routine in Alexa. Now it alerta on all my Alexa that someone is in the driveway. So I am happy to say my goal is accomplished :slight_smile:

Thanks again all for assistance.

1 Like