Disarm or cancel HSM doesn't stop actions

Greetings all. I recently tried setting up HSM for home security. I have several motion sensors set to trigger "intruder" text notifications, speech via Alexa and flash lights. All of this worked perfectly except these actions could not be stopped. I tried "canceling", and I tried "disarming", I changed the mode, all of this through the Hubitat web interface. The lights wouldn't stop and the spoken alerts continued. I even tried removing the HSM application but it still continued. The only way I found to stop this was by rebooting the hub using the Hubs settings.
Please tell me a better way. Thank you.

Can you share a screenshot of what you’ve got up to now? Is it all within HSM, or do you have some within rules?

Thanks Sebastian. It was all in HSM. I have deleted that program after the second attempt. I had it for several months just monitoring motion detectors when no-one was home. When anyone returned home it would "unarm" and no longer monitor. That all worked perfectly.
When I added flashing some house lights and speech through Alexa devices is when I had trouble. It still triggered and alerted fine but it couldn't be turned off. The only way I got it to stop was rebooting the hub.

1 Like

Same. Happened to me many times. Cancel alerts doesn't work reliably for me. The sirens are blaring and my wife is looking at me like I'm nuts.

3 Likes

Same - happened to me the last 2 times I forgot to disarm the outside gates at night when I emptied the trash. Thought it was just a defective siren - not so sure now. System logs indicate it is cancelled, but siren continued.

For the siren, I created a RM rule that whenever HSM disarms, it sends a stop to the siren. Probably shouldn't have to do it this way but it works.

Thank you. This could be a workable or work around solution. I agree an additional rule shouldn't be necessary, however I do want it to work. Thanks for pointing out this option.

1 Like

HA !
I have seen that look...

3 Likes

That is probably part of the problem. In most cases, flashing lights is the hub sending a bunch of on and off commands. I would recommend avoiding this. (I had done that in the past and removed them as it was causing issues…)

Thank you Sabastien. I'll remove the flashing light aspect, give this another try and see if that makes the difference.

1 Like

OK, so apparently I'm a liar, or at least last night I was. While I was at my church doing some maintenance, something set off the motion sensor(spider?). Checked my cameras and nothing. So I tried to disarm/cancel alerts from the dashboard, and it works !! I know next time it won't work, like has happened 50 times before.
Also if you have a Dome siren or similar, there is a duration in the device settings, and i suspect that duration will override HSM canceling alerts...although it should not, off means off.

OK. I reinstalled HSM. I rebuilt the triggers and added one action at a time. Now it notifies me via text, gives an audible notification via Alexa devices and flashes lighting. One thing, and perhaps the key change, it is not set to repeat. Right now, when motion is detected, it triggers the actions and then can be disabled. If motion is again detected, it then repeats. Right now it seems to work as desired. I think the repeat kept too many commands in que, thereby causing a delay in cancelation. Thank ou for the feedback Sabastien. That may have been the key point.
Hopefully this will help others too.

1 Like