Disabling front door lock when door is open?

As we thought - loose nut behind the wheel. You are saying app and I am thinking driver.

App installed. Head held in shame ready for noodle flogging

Thank you for your help

3 Likes

Since the rest of us are all perfect, we can only say how shocked, shocked we are that you aren't. Shame, shame, shame...

:wink:

2 Likes

@danabw Oh, I am sure there will be future instances of LNS (Loose Nut Syndrome) so be forewarned!

3 Likes

Haha. Happy to hear you found the issue!!
Now let us know how it goes!

1 Like

Am I to assume nothing else needs to be done other than creating the app? Or is there more to this?

1 Like

I've lost track... :slight_smile:

You create the Auto Lock Door app in the Apps Code section, then launch the app from the Apps section (click Add User App and select Auto Lock Door) ...

...and after the app launches configure it w/your lock and contact sensor for that door/lock.

1 Like

These are all great solutions, but I have a different use case requiring the fix.

My Yale lock attempts to lock the door when the person uses a motion over the digital touch pad. My family members frequently grab the door too close to the pad and it attempts to lock as they go in or out. Bang! the bolt hits the frame.

Is there a way to prevent the door from attempting to lock when the door is open and the trigger is the lock key pad motion?

Can HE quickly unlock when these conditions are met?
Door open
Yale Lock locks door
Contact indicates door is open
Unlock door
Contact indicates door is closed
Lock as normal

YapFlapper

Just disable that feature on the lock and let HE handle locking.

2 Likes

Occam's razor. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Rule wise in rm4
Trigger front door locked
If front door contact open then unlock.
Endif

Keep in mind that it might not be fast enough to unlock it in time.

1 Like

So you are suggesting I turn off One Touch Locking? Hmm. Wonder how you lock the door then when you leave?

You can set a timer that locks the door after x minutes closed, when unlocked. I have a 10 minute timer on mine, but you could set a one minute timer or something similar so it's locked quickly, but you can get back if you realize you've forgotten something.

A friend has a unique solution - he has a motion sensor that he mounted under his mailbox, pointing at the wall. It never gets triggered unless you run your hand between the sensor and the wall. He has that set as his outside lock trigger for his door. Works for him. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, that was what I was considering. Tell your buddy, that is a smart solution.

1 Like

Oh believe me, he does not need to hear from anyone how smart he is. As the Aussies say, he has tickets to himself.

:wink:

1 Like

I have it set to auto lock when I leave with the auto lock app. The house remains locked all the time and I manually unlock it to leave. Bluetooth beacon, wifi presence, and geo presence using combined presence unlock when one of the family arrive. Also have it start my truck in the winter when I'm leaving for work.

1 Like

@danabw

Been there, done that. Thanks. So after configuring the app, HE knows not to lock the door if it is open?
Hard to express emotions but I am thankful. :pray:

1 Like

Yep, that's all you need to do. If the app sees the contact sensor you selected reporting Open, it will not try to lock the door. :slight_smile:

Happy to help, and in the future you can help others as well! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I pass along what I know with a caveat it might not be correct. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Keep in mind while the app is easy, it does not take into account what I warned about that if the door is almost closed but not completely, the sensor can think the door is closed and try to lock the lock. If the bolt hits the jamb and doesn't really lock, you need to be notified which is why I use my rule instead.

While it is nice to keep things as simple as possible, it isn't always the best method especially with a security item.