"Disabled" advanced vThermostat still turns off my fireplace

I've set up an instance of Advanced vThermostat to control my fireplace. However sometimes She Who Must Be Obeyed wants to control the fireplace manually, with the wall switch. If I disable the Advanced vThermostat, it still switches off the fireplace a few minutes after she turns it on. She doesn't like that.

This has a recurring job "setOutletState" that runs even if the device is disabled.

How can I disable this app for real, including it's recurring job, without deleting it?

You might try posting here and tagging the dev or one of the regulars.

1 Like

You should only need to set thermostat mode to off. I have never seen this behavior. I have three instances of the VThermostat running and if I turn it off it does nothing.

2 Likes

Ok, I'll try this. Thanks. (I had to delete the vThermostat for the rest of the week, while I wait for other answers, I'll try it again next weekend when I'm back at the location).

In my mind turning the thermostat to "off" means it should be turning the fireplace off, perhaps repeatedly checking to make sure it's not on. Rather, "disabling" the thermostat should be the way to stop it from doing anything at all. But, if mode:off works for what I want, that will be easier.

No, off means the thermostat is off and will not control your devices. Heat mode only controls heating, Cool mode only controls cooling and Auto means it will control both.

1 Like

I am sorry to report that you are wrong. I set up a vThermostat again for my fireplace. When I turn the vThermostat mode to "off", it turns off the fireplace. Then, when I go to the wall switch and turn the fireplace back on directly, the vThermostat intervenes and turns the switch back off a few minutes later.

So, "off" in the vThermostat means that the switch should be off, and it aggressively turns the switch off.

I was really hoping you were right. Now I seem to have to have no recourse to allow my wife to turn on the fireplace manually, except to entirely remove the vThermostat. Neither setting it to "disabled" nor setting it to "off" allows manual control of the switch.

Oh well. It was worth a try.

Try disabling the switch itself. I have mine set up to turn on the thermostat if the switch is turned on. I assumed I had to. Never really tried that so I guess your right.

If you disable the switch then the hub should not be able to send it commands, i assume?

1 Like

Oh that’s a great idea ! Let me try it.

Just tried it on mine and it worked.

If that works and it should. You can enable and disable devices with RM. I have never used that feature but that could be a way to switch easily between VStat and manual control.

You could set a virtual switch called Fireplace manual control and when it gets turned on it would disable the switch.

You could then have RM re-enable the switch after some time period or some other event in the house, mode change, presence, etc.

1 Like

FYI I am running the beta version of the new Vthermostat and it seems to work as I thought the other one did. If the thermostat is off it does not monitor the temp or shut off the switch.

2 Likes

I am also now running the beta version and am getting the same result.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.