Direction of Hubitat

Exactly !
If one device goes bad, you don’t have them all go down and have to replace the whole thing.
Like the days when VCR’s were built into televisions and the VCR went bad, you ended up replacing the whole thing.

1 Like

To be fair, like the days of TV's with VCR's were built in, that happened when prices of technology were continuously dropping. So it was sold as Here is a TV with a FREE VCR included inside. So you were actually getting more for your $. Which is generally how all merging of devices into one goes. Unlike VCR's today's tech has very few moving parts to go bad.(still possible but less likely)

No longer do you have to spend $20 for a calculator. $200 for a phone, $200 for a digital camera, $200 for an Ipod, $200 for a tablet for internet, many others, as well as having to carry around all of those. Now's it's a $600 phone and everything else is free.

I started out small with the C-7 or C-8 hub......when we get to Hubitats C-10 hub I expect it to have a laser mapping device spinning on top like the ecovac deebots, and with that laser mapping it will be capable of replacing all door contact, motion, temperature, humidity, lux, sensors and trigger each light to come on. :joy::thinking:

3 Likes

That's not a C-10, that's an R2-D2.

9 Likes

The only reason hubitat is on it's 3rd hub version is because they started out smart and used what they had. I have a version one. they support it 100%. Most of the hubitat changes were because they were able to integrate more inside of the hub. I agree with @zarthan that most consumer electronics are not built to last. More throw away. It's a sad deal. I suppose if the price was amazingly cheap, I might give it a shot. ... Nah probably not even then.

1 Like

I welcome the throw away culture with open arms. Most think I'm kidding and being ridiculous about the spinning laser beam mapping out your house hub. Those same people 30 years ago would have wanted me locked up in a mental institution for saying that in 30 years I will literally teleport an entire book, across the world, in under 5 seconds, for free.

Tech comes at you fast. Love every bit of it!

2 Likes

Oh I live for tech. 24/7. It's what I do. It is a sad reality that we pay way too much for something that a company will only guarantee for a year. But that same limitation keeps me from putting all of my eggs in one basket. Like the smartthings wifi, for example. It's a great concept to have wifi, zigbee, zwave in one pod, but you lose a lot when it breaks. And they charge 3 times the price. Like an all in one computer. No thanks. I like the tech, but I need more than one blinking light. I like blinking lights and glowy things. Makes my stuff look sophisticated.

4 Likes

Internet connected TVs are spyware.

Hubitat TV won't they store all data locally. :smiley:

2 Likes

Capitalism dictates the “buy, buy, buy again” cycle.
I hate it !

2 Likes

And then you need to hope that a typo in a firmware update doesn't weaponize the laser....

This cute little device appeared on Amazon Canada yesterday...
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07WFMZ48W

It combines a soundbar with a FireTV 4K streaming device with Alexa support... Due for release November 21.

Didn't Samsung announce a few years back that they would incorporate the SmartThings hub into their line of TV sets...

Every device we get has some compromises no matter how much money we pay. There are design limitations; everything won't fit so something is left out. Cost considerations; it can't cost more than $$$ so we use the less expensive versions of various parts. And so on and so on. The compromises are compounded by any all in one, do-everything device. None of the parts will ever be good at their jobs just mediocre at best, and most often frustratingly so. Simple is best.

2 Likes

I would be fine with multifunction devices if they would make the hardware modular... Make the roku/firetv/etc a plug in module that can be removed/replaced/upgraded.

I don't want some secondary device in there that won't get updated/patched/secured 3 years after deployment...

If the functions are all on a similar life cycle/life span - fine.
If I can physically rip it out - fine.
If I can physically upgrade it - fine.

If not, no.

Of course it costs them a lot more money to make modular hardware, so I'm realistic and not exactly holding my breath that will happen....

2 Likes

9 posts were split to a new topic.

Please keep the conversation on point and don't forget, criticize ideas, not people .

Please avoid:

• Name-calling
  • Ad hominem attacks
  • Responding to a post’s tone instead of its actual content
  • Knee-jerk contradiction

Instead, provide reasoned counter-arguments that improve the conversation.

https://community.hubitat.com/faq#agreeable

We use the Hubitat because it is local, simple, user expandable, and does it's job well. Integration into another device is in just about direct opposition to it's purpose. A smart speaker is already designed to do this, and most of us don't use them because they don't work well enough for our needs, cannot be user enhanced, and have potential security issues.

The examples of multi-function devices are not really equivalent or good examples. A copy/scan/fax/printer is just a fax machine that can also save files and print from sources other than the phone line. It already had all of those functions, we've just figured out how to get it to fit on a bookshelf. If you want a good quality scanner or printer, you either have separate pieces or something very expensive. The functions are also related, so integration makes sense.

A smart phone is actually a good example for the argument against multi-function. A smart phone is a convenience because of the space limitations of your pocket, and because we enjoy this convenience we are willing to pay a premium and to have an all-in-one device that is good enough at a lot of things, but not really great at any of them. A flip phone used to last a week or more on a tiny battery, same for an mp3 player. Even a cheap point and shoot camera is capable of taking better photos than the best mobile phone. You also have to upgraded your smart phone regularly for an extreme cost and if you want it to work well. Your device from a few years ago no longer gets updated, the processor is too slow, it doesn't have enough RAM, the battery no longer charges, it doesn't have current radio technology, it's chip has a security flaw, it can't use current versions of apps, the camera died, etc.

The functions of home automation and home theater are not really related, the devices just happen to often be close to each other. It is more like having a food processor that can also make coffee because both are often in the kitchen. At least a smart TV integrates devices that would normally be connected for related functionality, but even then there are many arguments against the integration.

3 Likes

Except Sonos a very popular home theater grade speaker company has incorporated Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant.

Smart Refridgerators have incorporated a television screen into the doors, and so on.

It's already happening.

And that's why I only buy the Sonos without Amazon/Google integration. e.g. the Play:1, Play:5 and Symfonisk. And maybe the new One with bluetooth.

But, as has been said already...to each his own. In my house, with long experience of integrated devices, there are some lines that just aren't crossed. My Rokus shall remain separate, as shall my Hubitats. My wifi is not part of my router, and my shower is not in my tub.

:grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning:

5 Likes

How about a ~$200 device that's a full C10 HE with Sonos level whole home audio and local voice control ala Mycroft? Spreading 3-4 of these around the house would make a strong mesh and offer music and voice control. Maybe a Wi-Fi 7 version with a 6G option for a few more dollars...

1 Like