Dimmable LED Driver that works with a Z-Wave Dimmer Switch

This is slightly off-topic, but I've tried asking in other forums and keep receiving non-relevant answers, hopefully someone in the community here can give me some direction.

I recently renovated my kitchen. During the renovation, I installed a bunch of pot lights. The pot lights are in two "zones", controlled by two in-wall UltraPro Z-Wave Rocker Light Dimmers ( ultrapro-z-wave-in-wall-smart-dimmer-with-quickfit-and-simplewire-white ). Everything works great. However, I also routed some 14/3 romex from one of the UltraPro switches to under my kitchen cabinets. The intention is to put some under-cabinet LED lights there and since they'd be on the same switch as one of the pot light zones, I can control the pot lights and under-counter LED lights at the same time with the same switch.

Here's where I'm running into a problem. I'm trying to find a dimmable LED driver into which I can hardwire my 14/3 romex and then attach an LED strip. The drivers I've found mostly reference TRIAC dimmers, and some have an extra two leads specifically for dimmers.

In order to be compatible with the dimming method in these UltraPro in-wall dimmers, what type of dimmable LED driver am I looking for?

Many of these LED drivers aren't dimmable at all. Or like you found out, they aren't dimmable with conventional dimmers, and they have a separate 0-10V dimmer, which from what I have seen is typically more commercial use, or at the very least would require a bunch of new wiring.

A TRIAC is a type of dimmer circuit. Some dimmers use this, and some use MOSFET. Zooz has a guide on the difference between the two for a couple of their dimmers. Between these two articles, you can sorta piece together which type dimmer is better for what usage. ZEN72 VS ZEN77: What's the Difference - Zooz Support Center AND Full Guide to Zooz Smart Switches - Zooz Support Center

Not sure what the ultrapro are, I didn't see anything listed in the specs for this or any similar Jasco dimmer.

Thank you for the reply. I found a single comment on Amazon reviews that mentions the UltraPro are using TRIAC dimming.

I ordered this dimmable driver which I can hardwire. The listing says they're "compatible with virtually every AC in-wall dimmer, from simple incandescent CL dimmers to Alexa-enabled, Wi-Fi smart dimmers". I will test it out and report back, just in case anyone else is trying to find a similar solution.

I have a couple of these which I use with Jasco (GE/Ultrapro) dimmers. Standard 12 V white LED strips. They do require an external (12 V) power supply.

I have a few LED drivers that have the 0 to 10 volt analog/pwm input. The ones I have are also triac dimable if the analog input is left open.

The one I'm using in my master bath is a "LTF DA22W" Not only does it work but LTF verified it is compatible with triac dimmers.

Can you post your driver MFG and Model? Perhaps a photo.

I have tried dimming 12V LEDs from 120v switch using a couple dimmable LED drivers - one of them was this one:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07SPJPBN5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The diming control was not very good and low levels did the typical blinking. I tried adding additional capacitance on the 12w side and the improvement was small.

IMO the only real way to do it is with a PWM. In four locations i am using the zooz zen31
https://www.getzooz.com/zooz-zen31-rgbw-dimmer/

In one location I have a zooz zen22 in smart bulb mode and via button controller I can override zen31 but time of day automations are controlling the cabinet lighting 90% of the time.

My kitchen is different. I previously had halogen puck lighting (my wife likes the pucks in the kitchen over LED strips ... happy wife & all that) and I was controlling them with a zen27. When i switched them to LED a couple years ago i went with the 120v pucks from Illume Model # I-K5120PLWH. They are available from HD in Canada. Not sure about other countries.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/illume-kit-of-5x-120v-plastic-led-pucks-white/1001000501

Using these 120v pucks, the dimming is very good. One note about this setup is that the LED never completely turn off w/o a bypass.

I agree with you. I've had hit an miss success. At the moment the LTE device I mentioned is working well. It will not go very low but in a bathroom there is no need for super low light levels.
The other issue we live with is the delay on turn-on.

They do make low voltage PWM capable wall "dimmers", however in your case you couldn't share it with your other lights.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I think I've found a good solution. So far it's working well. I found an "Illume" branded LED driver (photo below), and connected it directly from the UltraPro switch with 14/3 romex. The dimming works well, without flickering. There's a slight (less than a second) delay when turning the switch on, and about a 4 second delay when I turn the switch off. While not great, this is acceptable.

1 Like