Dim an RGB bulb with a simple button?

How can you get over that with a rule? The transition time isn't being passed in the zigbee command to the light. You can't change something in a rule that isn't supported by the driver.

That doesn't work for start level change and stop level change. That works for raise volume and lower volume. If you wanted to do this for a light you would literally have to hard code each % transition and that command would have to be passed off to the device. Your network is going to never be able to handle that.

no not by that, as you have said that's not possible. But by doing the above.

It's not elegant but it should work, instead of using that command use repeat loop and inside it use adjust the light by a amount.

But doing so would either cause the light to jump from one level to another or cause an excess of messages. I've used a similar approach for lights that don't support the start level changing command but it is not 100% effective. The dimmer can occasionally "run-away"

1 Like

It's working but i can see it failing sometimes, it's definitely not pretty but it does work. In my test its a group light so i'm surprised how well its working.

I am still learning rule machine, however, did something change recently? I can't seem to create separate actions for each button action. I can create multiple "trigger events" such as button help OR button released but when I build the actions I can not for the life of me figure out how to tie an action such as start lowering to a button "held" and a separate action such as flop a Boolean variable on button "released".

Sounds like you might be using the "Button" trigger instead of "Button Device."

That appears to be it. Thank you. Doesn't look like my buttons have the release action.

1 Like

Yeah, Hubitat's button model requires all button devices to support "pushed" (as they would naturally all do in the real world), but it's up to the specific device (and to a lesser extent the driver, which in almost all cases just reports whatever this behavior is) whether it implements anything beyond that, like holds, releases, double-taps, or whatnot.

1 Like