Difficulty implementing desired logic

Use: I want to create a rule to send me a notification when the washing machine cycle is complete based on the power usage from my smart plug

Issue: I cannot seem to figure out how to implement the desired logic:

• Power Meter reports >5 for a duration of >=5 minutes THEN (this is when the washing machine is actually running)
  • Power Meter reports <2 for a duration of 1 minute THEN (this is when the washing machine is powered on but not doing anything right before it turns off)
  • Send notification

Could you help me figure this out with Rule Machine please?

Here is my rule. The private boolean is set to keep the rule from constantly triggering during the wash cycle. I just wait for the power to drop to 0 as mine is the same where it just turns off at the end of the cycle. You don't need the trigger to go at the start of the cycle (unless you also want a notification right when the washer starts). You just need the rule to trigger at some point before it finishes. That's why I settled on a higher power value for the trigger.

If you just copy the first four lines of the actions (stop at "set private boolean to true") then that will get you the push notification. The rest in my rule is to keep a notification light turned on until someone actually goes into the laundry room.

2 Likes

While you can do this in RM, I find it much easier to use one of the laundry monitoring apps that are on this site. You just fill in a couple boxes, and the app does the rest.

1 Like

For a simple example, here's a rule I use for mine. It doesn't implement your exact logic, but it should do about what you're asking if you adjust the watts and wait times if needed, according to your machine's actual behavior and how your plug reports:

Trigger events: Power level of Washing Machine Plug reports >= 30.0

Actions to run:

Wait for event: Power level of Washing Machine Plug <= 20.0
Wait for event: --> elapsed time: 0:01:00
Notify notification device: "The washing machine is done!"
1 Like

Thanks! This solution worked best for me. The trick was the "Wait for event".

here is mine based on power usage.. key is to get the max when it starts up in the first and then later when it is idle.. never had a false alarm and always works.. this is for lg top loader

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.